Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Last symtpom! Extreme neck tightness!!

[pa...]

Hey all!

Been having extreme neck tightness! This honestly has been the last symptom ive had!! Gets way worse when beding over or laying completely flat!! Any stress makes my fave tighten up too but the worst symptom has been extreme neck tightness and my neck always feels hot! Who can relate and did anything help with it? Thanks!

Sorry you got it too.

My original stiff back buttocks hip spread to upper body, back neck shoulder and head, extreme intense, pulling head to one side shoulder twisting pulling upper back joints off position leading to left arm tendon damage not able to lift up to wash face or anything.

Pressure point massage helps a bit temporarily.

How long have you been off and when did this start? What were your other sx and how long did they take to leave?

Hey 4mom!

I am now 16 months off of clonazepam!! This started probably a month ago or so. The head pressure has always been there, especially laying down or bending over but it got worse the past month or so. Face pressure too!! I've been supwr stressed and worrying about everything so i know that doesnt help! Thats the only symptom i have left, neck, face, and head pressure that gets worse when beding over or laying flat!

All other symptoms have cleared up and were the same as everyone else on here!!

Thanks!

Congrats to you for making it out for 16 months! So great to hear the other sx are all gone!

Really damn these evil pills and the damage they cause!

I know a person who was functional the first 10 months and very severe muscle contraction started at that point, so it seems for some the muscle can onset in late stage.

Mine was the first sx ever appaered and stayed and worsened over time. At worst stage now 10 months off.

Hope it's reversable as it's highly disabling in my case and can't imagine I can live with it for the rest of my life.

Was one of the last things that went for me too, and one of the things that required active work. You said it has always been there to some extent. That was the case with me too. I think massages and adjustments are unlikely to help on their own, because we spend the rest of the time holding our bodies as we always have.

My most useful advice is to experiment with yoga and relaxation, and you do it under the idea that proper posture is something you can relax into. You really can’t forcibly attain it, because force and tension typically tenses the muscles that are misaligning your posture to begin with. I personally discovered muscles in several places in my body that were holding when they weren’t supposed to. Especially in the upper back and neck. My poor awareness of these muscles meant that I couldn’t feel that they were holding, and that I didn’t know how to relax them. But I know that you can learn from first hand experience.

The role of the yoga is to familiarize yourself with various ways the body moves, and to mobilize and loosen up the body. You are looking for postures that feel perfect, yet effortless. This is where it is important to think of it as something you relax into. It is not about forcing. When you mobilize well, and then figure out how to let go in the right places, you will come into good posture where there is no neck tension etc.

The first time I learned to let go of the neck tension in particular was quite a novel experience. It was making contact with muscles that were previously just not in my conscious control, because I was not aware of them, whereas now I can notice that I’m starting to hold with those muscles, and I can just unclench them.

I hope this makes sense. And that it doesn’t seem daunting too. So in short it is mobilizing and exploring with yoga while seeking to become aware of and learn how to let go of holding patterns that are causing tension, so that you may relax into an effortless, tension-free posture of the body.

I wish you all the best

Packer. I'm so happy for you. Finally your last symptom after this difficult journey.  :thumbsup:

I think there is a lot of tension in the body. You've gone through so much. Maybe massage and relaxation can help you?  :)

Have you tried massage therapy? I've had cervical fusion due to nerve damage so I have to be proactive about taking care of my neck and shoulder area ( also had 3 shoulder surgeries).

I found massage to be very helpful.  Gentle stretches as well. This is one I use every day.  Sitting down slowly turn your head to the right. Look down and your armpit and hold for 30 seconds. Lift slowly and repeat on the other side. I do 3 repetitions of this.

Heat is good for tight muscles, moist heat is best.

I have some other gentle stretches I can share with you if you wish to hear about them.

pianogirl

Does anyone else’s tightness feel like muscles are fibrotic, gripping on to or wrapped around d vertebra in wrong way And like hard lumps of knotty gristle that won’t let go?

Does anyone else’s tightness feel like muscles are fibrotic, gripping on to or wrapped around d vertebra in wrong way And like hard lumps of knotty gristle that won’t let go?

Ajusta. I hope you get more replies, if you compare with others in the same situation? Maybe "Withdrawal Support" is better (for moral support and feedback during your benzodiazepine withdrawal (taper)".  :)