Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What to expect tapering Xanax after a month

[Kh...]

I was given .5mg Xanax after my first panic attack 5 weeks ago. I used it sporadically at first, never used it more than 1x a day and often only took .25mg just at bedtime. I started Zoloft 2.5 weeks and since then have taken it every night to help with sleep.  Last night I took .125mg and barely slept at all. Then I did some reading today and have scared myself about coming off this. I initially planned on taking .125mg for 5 nights and then stopping. I'm not sure if that is wise now. I'm still having side effects from the Zoloft so I'm nervous about adding more but I really don't like taking this every night. Any advice would be appreciated! 

[5e...]

Hello Khristi and welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We are glad you've found us.  You have every reason to be concerned about taking Xanax on a nightly basis since one become dependent rather quickly on benzos.  It is possible you've become habituated to it even though you've only been on it for five weeks.

I've put a link below to frequently asked questions about benzos to get you started.

Frequently Asked Questions

When tapering, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is generally recommended.  I've given you a link to the planning your taper forum below:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Have a look around and get familiar with this website and when you feel ready, you can start a thread.  You'll find the information and support you've come for here at BB!

Best and again, welcome,

Kate