Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Is this symptom normal

[Be...]

Hi Friends,

Lately, I have been having a weird symptom. Overall, I am doing ok, but at night, I will wake up for about 5 minutes with a mild anxiety attack. It doesn’t last long and I am able to claim myself down, but it happens almost every other night. Has anyone experienced this? Some ways to cope are greatly appreciated :).

Increased anxiety is normal during withdrawal.  Middle of the night there are hormonal changes that can cause this.  Also, circadian cycles change all night.  And less benzos affects dream REM.  Not forever.  It’s good you can calm yourself down.  What are you’d doing that’s working?  Try 4 7 8 breathing.  This activates the vagus nerve.  The vagus nerve I needs to activate to settle the fight flight response.  Benzo use causes it to stop working, because benzos took over for that.  Now you can do simple things to get that working.  Look that up.  It’s easy and very effective. 

[c7...]
breathing exercises is the best remedy for panic and anxiety attacks. Try going for a walk also that can help take your mind off of it.