Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Toxic naps, anyone?

[Pt...]

I sleep pretty normally at night now. Occasionally, I wake up a couple times throughout the night, but I fall asleep within 30 minutes to an hour on good nights, three months out. But during the day, if I try to drift off, or if I try to take a nap after a night of less than three or four hours of sleep, I go through these really weird sensations during the nap.

It almost feels as though I'm seizing (although I know I'm not), like my body is convulsing (even though it's not). When I nap during the day, it feels like a toxic, waking dream for the entire duration of it. Every time I nap during the daytime hours, this happens, and eventually I relent, and just get up. Has anyone else had these experiences?

I have never been a good napper. I may doze off but wake feeling yuckier than before. I feel sort of heavy, vaguely nauseous. That is still true today. I dont know why this is. It just is for me.

Weird sensations during a nap are normal. I get them too. I start "sort of" picturing faces, not normal faces, sort of like cartoon faces. Distorted, anyway.  I dont see them clearly, I just sort of see and sense them. As far as I know, this is totally normal. When your brain allows yo to relax a bit, seeing or feeling weird things is very normal.

Annie

I sleep pretty normally at night now. Occasionally, I wake up a couple times throughout the night, but I fall asleep within 30 minutes to an hour on good nights, three months out. But during the day, if I try to drift off, or if I try to take a nap after a night of less than three or four hours of sleep, I go through these really weird sensations during the nap.

It almost feels as though I'm seizing (although I know I'm not), like my body is convulsing (even though it's not). When I nap during the day, it feels like a toxic, waking dream for the entire duration of it. Every time I nap during the daytime hours, this happens, and eventually I relent, and just get up. Has anyone else had these experiences?

You describe it well, I know exactly what you mean..

Thankfully its eased right up again now..

I actually got it the worst in conjunction with many nerve issues, but it was at my worst time following a direct opiate cross over (after the valium and lyrica tapers)..

Do you find that as you wake your kinda stuck in bed with it in a very physical sense, but aware that if you just get up it will ease right off, -yet cant..??

For me it stopped seconds after my feet hit the floor, yet I often layed there suffering the toxic and doom n gloom for up to an hour or so, paralysed nearly..  Conscious enough to think, yet not really awake either..

Glad its gone now, being more fatigue based rather than anxiety based with my symptoms, I relied heavily on my day naps (nocturnal)... It sure took the “fun” out of the whole sad show... :(

Hope its not long lasting for you...

:)

Ugh, I hated the toxic naps.  I hated to nap but fatigue would win out, I had jerking that was extreme sometimes and woke up feeling pretty terrible. I was so happy when this symptom went away, and it did, go away. 

pianogirl  :smitten:

This still happens to me (today). I try to avoid napping but sometimes my body just kinda shuts me down and I have to.  I will jerk and twitch, my HR will dip into the low 50’s high 40’s.  It’s like my body is going into some kind of hibernation mode or something. My eyes feel like they are rolling in my head and I finally pass out. More often than not I feel a little better after a few hours of awakening so it must be my body and brain doing what it needs to do to keep healing.

I used to be a wonderful napper...

I don't even try to nap right now bc I jerk or vibrate still, or if I doze a weird dream pops up and then I jolt awake feeling messed up. My body is just not there yet.

Read quite a few ppl who have recovered and nap well again. So I will just have to wait for that day:)