Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Possible Gabapentin withdrawals

[Dr...]

My recent difficulty with Ativan withdrawals give me a feeling something else is at play here.

I started Gabapentin 1500mg about 45 days ago (300mg 5x daily). But I haven’t been completely consistent about it. I’m not even sure it’s doing any good.

Has anyone had any difficult withdrawal experience with Gabapentin?

Lyrica and Gabapetin both produce side effects and WD. If you read the package inserts, it seems they minimize these. There are also psychological issues with the Lyrica and more suicidal ideation.  Both work heavily at the nerve muscle junction. It had bad physical side effects when I weaned off Lyrica.

Taurine, a natural anti-seizure, pseudo amino acid, was very helpful to me for these symptoms. It has numerous benefits including healing damage of diabetes to the eyes. I would also warn anyone who uses it to carefully monitor blood sugars as it lowers insulin resistance.

thats a lot of Gabapentin. I was only on 100Mg (100 x 2 per day).

at one point i thought it produced some withdrawal symptoms. not totally sure because i was on benzos throughout the time i was taking it

it never worked wonders for me but did stop some of my seizure activity

I take 300 mgs gabapentin daily.  I resisted at first.  Doctor had me on 900 but side effects were huge.  I went to 600 then 300 over 6 weeks.  I felt much better.  It helps with sleep and some withdrawal side effects.  Mostly with sleep.  I worry about withdrawal later, but I’ll deal with the benzo first.  I hear it’s very manageable at low doses.  1500 mgs gabapentin seems a high dose.  Hard to say if you’re feeling withdrawal effects from that.  But, if it were me, I wouldn’t increase.  Better off to decrease very gradually if it’s an issue.  Talk to your doctor first, please.  This isn’t advice.  Just thoughts.  I don’t know what you take gabapentin for, so you may need it for something other than benzo withdrawal. 

Unfortunately, 1500mg of Gabapetin is "within range" on dosages. The max is 3600mg/day.  I found this drug and Lyrica ( the evil cousin) to be devastating personally and from watching family members take it. Some got paranoia with the drug- they were not on any psych meds and using it for nerve pain.

Lyrica has been promoted for all kinds of off brand usages including depression.  If you check the Lyrica support group on FB, you'll find there's a high incidence of suicidal ideation. These effects were so bad, that the several state attorney general's sued the manufacturer. The FDA fined them a total of $43 million for misleading ads and paying doctors to prescribe. After the lawsuit, they went right back to advertising it for non-proven claims. I think it's a shame the Pharma industry gets by with things as they do.

I found the wd from gabapentin to be about the same as clonazepam. Burning nerve pain. Insomnia muscle joint pain. It’s taken me 8 months to go from 900mg aday to 225mg aday