Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Why do some avoid caffeine?

[Re...]

I’ve been having a cup of coffee every morning, and almost instantly feel much better. I’m able to pound through my work, and it always boosts my mood.

I can see it slightly boosts anxiety (did before all of this too) but the benefits seem to outweigh being a little more anxious, especially if you can say to yourself it’s because you’re hyper/caffeinated.

I think some could feel even worse stopping caffeine as the withdrawal from that can be quite bad as well (headaches, lethargic, depression etc). I remember I use to always stop coffee over the weekends and by Sunday I’d have a pounding headache. I’m very introverted but coffee/caffeine makes me extroverted.

Does it slow down or impact healing?

Hi Retro,

I can't speak to whether caffeine is thought to impede healing.  But I think you're right about it raising anxiety. Sounds like it only slightly raises your anxiety.  However for many of us it raises anxiety a lot more more than slightly and if anxiety is a major issue for us in withdrawal we'll do what we can to avoid raising it.  Caffeine after all is a stimulant and it makes sense to avoid stimulating a a CNS already over stimulated in withdrawal.  I'm glad caffeine is a positive for you!

You're also right that stopping caffeine abruptly is a bad idea - it needs to be tapered off. For me anxiety earlier in withdrawal was through the roof horrendous. I tapered off caffeine slowly  & gradually by increasingly diluting it with decaf and eventually got off completely.  I don't need it to function.

Take care and enjoy your coffee!  :)

Brighterday

I drink two cups a day.  I only avoided it back before I started tapering.  I was seeing a psychologist for anxiety/panic attacks and he had me cut out caffeine while undergoing therapy. 

After I worked through the issues behind the anxiety, he said I could drink it again if I wanted.

If you are prone to anxiety, then avoid it, otherwise you can enjoy a little bit of it.