Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Why do some avoid caffeine?

[Re...]

I’ve been having a cup of coffee every morning, and almost instantly feel much better. I’m able to pound through my work, and it always boosts my mood.

I can see it slightly boosts anxiety (did before all of this too) but the benefits seem to outweigh being a little more anxious, especially if you can say to yourself it’s because you’re hyper/caffeinated.

I think some could feel even worse stopping caffeine as the withdrawal from that can be quite bad as well (headaches, lethargic, depression etc). I remember I use to always stop coffee over the weekends and by Sunday I’d have a pounding headache. I’m very introverted but coffee/caffeine makes me extroverted.

Does it slow down or impact healing?

Hi Retro,

I can't speak to whether caffeine is thought to impede healing.  But I think you're right about it raising anxiety. Sounds like it only slightly raises your anxiety.  However for many of us it raises anxiety a lot more more than slightly and if anxiety is a major issue for us in withdrawal we'll do what we can to avoid raising it.  Caffeine after all is a stimulant and it makes sense to avoid stimulating a a CNS already over stimulated in withdrawal.  I'm glad caffeine is a positive for you!

You're also right that stopping caffeine abruptly is a bad idea - it needs to be tapered off. For me anxiety earlier in withdrawal was through the roof horrendous. I tapered off caffeine slowly  & gradually by increasingly diluting it with decaf and eventually got off completely.  I don't need it to function.

Take care and enjoy your coffee!  :)

Brighterday

I drink two cups a day.  I only avoided it back before I started tapering.  I was seeing a psychologist for anxiety/panic attacks and he had me cut out caffeine while undergoing therapy. 

After I worked through the issues behind the anxiety, he said I could drink it again if I wanted.

If you are prone to anxiety, then avoid it, otherwise you can enjoy a little bit of it.