Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Does sleep length impact healing speed?

[Re...]

If you were to get 7-8 hours of sleep every night would you heal faster than less sleep each night?

If you got even more sleep say 8-10 hours, would you heal even faster?

Just curious if there’s any studies on this? Is it possible that some people are taking longer to heal due to poor sleep (which many have)...?

I’m aiming for 7.5-8 during the week and even more on the weekends.

Sleep and hydration are important. Melatonin is popular (10 mgs a night max). Be careful because Melatonin is not natural. Sometimes I personally would take Motrin PM to help me sleep & it also helped with inflammation. Sleep helped me a lot.

Hey retro:)

Sleep is definitely restorative, and more so in the REM stage. so the short answer is yes sleep helps to heal. However, there are those on BB who recovered very well even after having insane insomnia for a very long time.

Sleep is ONE OF the elements needed to heal. For example, you can get all the sleep you want, but if you neglect your body in other ways you will possibly hinder healing. There are so many variables.

So I hope you get the sleep you plan for. That would be awesome! I just want to caution you that recovery from benzos tends to dictate its own sleep. I am finally sleeping well 90% of the time after having a year of BAD nights( due to benzo tolerance),

BUT every so often I get a night of disrupted sleep or just lay there awake for say 4 hrs. So annoying. then other nights I sleep so deep  and long its like a mini coma. 

So whatever comes your way - its normal and ok. you will function. you are healing! :)

This may be kind of a chicken and egg question. I had horrible insomnia. As I got lower and tapered off, then my sleep did improve. So, I think I slept better as I began to heal but also likely healed more as I slept better.

I would note that I still have sleep issues. I still have insomnia but also some hypersomnia which pushes my sleep into not-so-ideal hours.

Sleep and hydration are important. Melatonin is popular (10 mgs a night max). Be careful because Melatonin is not natural. Sometimes I personally would take Motrin PM to help me sleep & it also helped with inflammation. Sleep helped me a lot.

I’ve taken melatonin for years straight but less is more. I take usually 0.25-0.50 MG a night. Most bottled are 3MG which I feel is overkill for most people and adverse impacts. Too much has the opposite effect. Also it will make you way too groggy in the morning at the higher levels (if unneeded).