Are there persons who do not get tolerant/dependent on benzo?

[te...]

Wasn't quite sure where to post this and a search came up blank.

Conventional wisdom is that benzos poop out after about 3 weeks so that you have to raise the dose to maintain the same effect.

However, I have heard folk who swear that benzos 'carry on working' for them over a much longer period.

Is there any truth in this?

[b0...]

It seems to vary a lot from person to person.  There are lots of people here who c/t'd without difficulty earlier in their lives, but somehow get reinstated later in life and find they now need to taper.  So age and/or prior exposure seem to have an effect.  I'm sure genetics plays a big role too.  There's also a psychological factors and dependencies to consider. 

It's complex.

I took klonopin for sleep for over 4 years before any noticeable tolerance occurred.  I'm sure that some low level tolerance was slowly building before then, but no up-dose was required.  Lots of people take the same dose for 10+ years, while some find it wearing out after just a few months.

I believe it's all over the map.  I took Benzos for 3 months, CT'd and didn't experience anything.  I went off for 6 weeks, then went back on for another 3 months, but at much higher doses.  Tolerance quickly set in after about 3-4 weeks of use, but being unaware of any possibility of WD, I took them for another 2 months and then found BenzoBuddies.  For some reason, some people are able to stay on them for years or even decades without experiencing tolerance WD or symptoms. 

I believe that is why they are so widely prescribed because a certain percentage never experience WD no matter how long they were on or how they get off (a CT, detox or taper)?

Prescribing guidelines say 2 - 4 weeks max, but that is routinely ignored. 

IMO the goal should be to live drug free even if you can tolerate Benzos or other drugs for years and years.

Thank you both for your kind replies. It concurs with what I have experienced personally and read about on these forums

I'm not opposed to the use of benzos since some folk need them to survive. However, I believe like all of us here that we should try and taper off when the moment seems right.

Teru