Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Weight Gain During Withdrawal?

[42...]

[42...]

I have been very slowing tapering since January 2019 about .05 ml liquid diazepam every two weeks. I am down to .4 ml diazepam every night.

The withdrawal has actually gone pretty well, all things considered, except I have gained about 5 pounds which doesn't sound like much but on a small person like me, it feels like a lot. I eat a low fat diet and walk at least 3 miles a day and my doctor has ruled out other health-related causes.

Has anyone else experienced weight gain during withdrawal?

Honestly, 5 lbs is not a big deal.  You have other concerns more important.  Just get over the diazepam and get nice and level.  You can deal with 5 lbs later.  Your sugars could just be rebalancing or it can be water weight.  Your system is figuring itself out. 

I have gained at least 40 pounds since starting taper in 2017. i am afraid to get on the scale now. I am a small person too.  Always thin.  Now have zero energy to care even though it bothers me so much that I do not want to be seen.  I can barely care for self and look so old now.  Hope I can get my shape, energy and some beauty back after this hell.  I weigh more than I did in all four pregnancies I had.  Now look pregnant.  Does this have to steal everything from me?  Even my looks?  I feel so defeated. 

• 1 month later...
@mom2kid.  I switched from Klonopin to diazepam 6 months ago and Ives gained 30 lbs.  I a man 59 and all have only weighed this much pregnant.  You are not alone!!  It stinks but it’s  just what I have to do right now.  I only eat 1000 calories a day and exercise regularly so there isn’t much else I can do.  Have checked with doctors And it has to be the Valium.  Hoping it will come off someday!

I have gained at least 40 pounds since starting taper in 2017. i am afraid to get on the scale now. I am a small person too.  Always thin.  Now have zero energy to care even though it bothers me so much that I do not want to be seen.  I can barely care for self and look so old now.  Hope I can get my shape, energy and some beauty back after this hell.  I weigh more than I did in all four pregnancies I had.  Now look pregnant.  Does this have to steal everything from me?  Even my looks?  I feel so defeated.

Me too. I've gained 35 pounds since I started my taper in December. I'm exercising but I'm also stress eating. I hate the weight gain!