Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

more Infections and decreased pain tolerance

[Mo...]

My pain tolerance is decreasing as I taper. I had a horrible ear infection last Dec. I had been holding for 2 months at the time.  The pain was severe. But I only had to use one day of pain meds and the infection was stopped by day 3.

I then started back to tapering in Jan. I now have the same type of infection but I now need higher dosages of pain meds for a longer duration. And the symptoms of the infection are lasting longer. I'm not healing as quickly as I did just 5 months ago.

I definitely am not one who likes how pain meds make me feel. Ugg.

Plus this is the fourth ear infection in the last six months.

It's a bit concerning because in the future, if I need more pain meds, it may look like I'm a drug seeker (I hate the fact that the medical community is so afraid to give out pain medications. I hate the fact that they have such control over me and how much I'll suffer). And I won't be able to get the help I need. If I tell them I'm tapering a benzo that just makes it more likely that they'll see me as a drug seeker.

I'm sure many people are having more infections and decreased pain tolerance. any thoughts?

Sorry to read this as ear pain can be excruciating. Yes, WD does seem to magnify pain (and other sensations) for most people.

According to different scientific sources, WD seems to intensify pain two ways: 1) Direct affect of glutamate which causes excessive firing of nerves 2) Other residual products of drug breakdown seem to accumulate in tissues.  If the liver cannot filter residual stuff out, this too increases pain because irritants are recycling in the blood stream. I noticed a type of retracing of old injuries occurred with WD. Those that hadn't hurt in years reappeared. I've had bizarre areas hurt without pathology like my teeth aching suddenly and my toes/feet burning.

I chose to rely on different supplements at different times to help both. A good general pain reliever is B vitamin derivative Benfotiamine. I get none of the usual B vitamin problems with it.

Immune function- During withdrawal several systems are affected: 1) gut, the second brain is also the site of most immune receptors for the body 2) pancreas, specifically insulin cells can react based on glutamate levels disrupting absorption 3) thyroid. The thyroid used in the brain is on a separate circuit than that of the body. Hypothalamic TSH, T3,T4 can be OK on a blood test when the T3, T4 levels in the body tissues are quite low. T3 also calms the brain. 4) cortisol tends to rise too high if under chronic stress. All of these can change immune response. Add to it insomnia, loss of appetite, nausea, sympathetic excitation, worry, etc. and the ability to fight off infections drops.

Things to boost immune function: 1) Vitamin D. If you go out in the early morning and get just 15 minutes of sun on your head and don't wear sunglasses, you turn on the pineal gland which has all kinds of benefits. https://philmaffetone.com/sun-and-brain/  2) Keeping your blood sugar in limits is important. A glucometer can take out the guess work.  Low blood sugar especially in the AM waking up, can cause a sharp sympathetic burst worsening mental and physical symptoms. Good to try to eat regularly even if a small amount. Use nutrient dense foods that are low in histamine.  3) Vitamin C- According to Dr. Klenner, a vit. C pioneer, white blood cells rely on C to become active. He also noted as did a 1935 researcher, that vit. C could attach to cold and other viruses to deactivate them.  4) NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine )has multiple benefits psychologically and physically. It prevents damage from radiographic dyes on CTs if given IV with Vit. C.  It is given as the only antidote to acetaminophen poisoning. Without it, those patients die due to liver damage when the drug is broken down.  5) Hot baths especially with Epsom salts seems to aid WD. Raising the temp stimulates sensory and hypothalamic brain areas to turn down discomfort. High temps make a less hospitable host for bacteria, etc. as they usually operate in fairly narrow ranges. The Mg in the salt is calming and is said to collect things excreted by the skin.  6) If you could get access, long infrared saunas also boost immune function.

These are ideas and things that I've used with the rationales. Pick what you think will be helpful. Best of luck.

Could you use warm olive oil with tea tree and lavender in on cotton wool in ear to help infection?

Just put bit of olive oil in a glass and sit glass in bowl of boiling water until is warm. Add couple drops of preferred oils and dip in some cotton wool.

Lie of side with towel under head and out that in ear.

It is what I have always used for ear infections.

Clive oil might work too.

Depends what is causing infection.

https://www.healthline.com/health/essential-oils-for-ear-infection#how-to-use

Sorry to read this as ear pain can be excruciating. Yes, WD does seem to magnify pain (and other sensations) for most people.

According to different scientific sources, WD seems to intensify pain two ways: 1) Direct affect of glutamate which causes excessive firing of nerves 2) Other residual products of drug breakdown seem to accumulate in tissues.  If the liver cannot filter residual stuff out, this too increases pain because irritants are recycling in the blood stream. I noticed a type of retracing of old injuries occurred with WD. Those that hadn't hurt in years reappeared. I've had bizarre areas hurt without pathology like my teeth aching suddenly and my toes/feet burning.

I chose to rely on different supplements at different times to help both. A good general pain reliever is B vitamin derivative Benfotiamine. I get none of the usual B vitamin problems with it.

Immune function- During withdrawal several systems are affected: 1) gut, the second brain is also the site of most immune receptors for the body 2) pancreas, specifically insulin cells can react based on glutamate levels disrupting absorption 3) thyroid. The thyroid used in the brain is on a separate circuit than that of the body. Hypothalamic TSH, T3,T4 can be OK on a blood test when the T3, T4 levels in the body tissues are quite low. T3 also calms the brain. 4) cortisol tends to rise too high if under chronic stress. All of these can change immune response. Add to it insomnia, loss of appetite, nausea, sympathetic excitation, worry, etc. and the ability to fight off infections drops.

Things to boost immune function: 1) Vitamin D. If you go out in the early morning and get just 15 minutes of sun on your head and don't wear sunglasses, you turn on the pineal gland which has all kinds of benefits. https://philmaffetone.com/sun-and-brain/  2) Keeping your blood sugar in limits is important. A glucometer can take out the guess work.  Low blood sugar especially in the AM waking up, can cause a sharp sympathetic burst worsening mental and physical symptoms. Good to try to eat regularly even if a small amount. Use nutrient dense foods that are low in histamine.  3) Vitamin C- According to Dr. Klenner, a vit. C pioneer, white blood cells rely on C to become active. He also noted as did a 1935 researcher, that vit. C could attach to cold and other viruses to deactivate them.  4) NAC (n-acetyl-cysteine )has multiple benefits psychologically and physically. It prevents damage from radiographic dyes on CTs if given IV with Vit. C.  It is given as the only antidote to acetaminophen poisoning. Without it, those patients die due to liver damage when the drug is broken down.  5) Hot baths especially with Epsom salts seems to aid WD. Raising the temp stimulates sensory and hypothalamic brain areas to turn down discomfort. High temps make a less hospitable host for bacteria, etc. as they usually operate in fairly narrow ranges. The Mg in the salt is calming and is said to collect things excreted by the skin.  6) If you could get access, long infrared saunas also boost immune function.

These are ideas and things that I've used with the rationales. Pick what you think will be helpful. Best of luck.

That makes a lot of sense. I've  actually wondered how epsom salt works because they do work on my anxiety. And why my symptoms are worse after waking up. Thank You,