Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Down to .25

[TN...]

Been on .5 - 2 mg Klonopin for 10 years. Trying to taper off for the past year. Down to .25 for the past 10 days. Struggling to finish this off. Been using a pill splitter and Doc prescribed Trazodone - I added Advil PM but insomnia is still fierce.

Hello TNHeritage!

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  It's so good you found us - you've come to the right place for good information and support to help you with your taper off of Klonopin.

It's good you're doing a slow taper.  Often people find it best to slow down their taper with smaller cuts as they get down to  the lower doses.  This helps minimize withdrawal symptoms so you can function as well as possible.

We typically suggest making cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days.  For many people going even slower and making cuts based on your symptoms works best.

Please take a look around and when you're ready start a thread with questions on Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans).

So glad you're here!  :)

Brighterday

Been on .5 - 2 mg Klonopin for 10 years. Trying to taper off for the past year. Down to .25 for the past 10 days. Struggling to finish this off. Been using a pill splitter and Doc prescribed Trazodone - I added Advil PM but insomnia is still fierce.

Congratulations for making this far! Everyone reacts differently to their weaning off of their medication. Some have mild or very little symptoms, some have stronger withdrawal symptoms. In case you are worried about certain symptoms it is good to look into the The Ashton Manual  Please share your thoughts with your BenzoBuddies. Very much hope your taper will go smooth as it goes for many people and soon you can leave your benzo years behind!

Hi TN

You’ve made such good progress! 

.25 clonazepam/ klonipin is still a high dose to stop from.  It sounds like not much.  But it can be deceptive.  You’re splitting pills.  That’s a challenge.  The doses are not very precise after .25. 

It’s possible to get this compounded at the compound pharmacy.  If your dr will prescribe this in a liquid suspension, you can make smaller dose reductions. 

Insomnia is so common.  Some take half a 25 mg Benadryl, but not every night.  A sleep routine, no caffeine, no late night screens, weighted blanket, eye mask, white noise, extra strength chamomile tea, warm lavender bath before bed, light exercise in the day..all help. 

Trazadone might not help.  You’ll know soon enough.  Magnesium can make you sleepy.  Don’t overdo it, as it can upset your stomach.

Acceptance is key.  Try not to dwell on the problem.  Get up and do boring things.  Lay on the couch (don’t watch tv), flip through magazines.  Believe it or not, you can be ok in very little sleep.  Trust that sleep will return in time. 

Hi Healing64,

I' m taking one day 0.3 clonazepam and the next 0.2 to make an average of 0.25. I also use liquid which means 3 or 2 drops respectively. But this is a roller coaster. How can I produce a steady 0.25 dosage? We're talking about 2-3 tiny drops. I add them to little water. I guess I'll have to measure exactly the quantity of water, mixt it somehow (with a hand mixer?) and drink it? How do you do it?

Can you tell us more about the liquid you are using? Is it a prescription oral solution of clonazepam?

It's called Rivotril. It's 2.5 mg/ml. It says that 1 ml of the solution (25 drops) is 2.5 mg clonazepam. If I've done it right, every drop is 0.1 mg of clonazepam. I used from November to early March 1 mf in pill form. In order to taper I started the liquid. I went down from 8-10drops to 3 with no particular problems. Now it gets tricky, I can't understand why

Thank you for clarifying.  This is important information.  Can you share more of your taper history with us?  You started liquid in March?  What date?  How many drops?  On what dates did you make your reductions?  Did you reduce by one drop each time?

Yes, started liquid early March, 1 dropped 1 drop every 10-20 days. For example I took 8, 6, 5, 4 and finally 3 drops. Cuts were about at every 10-20 days. But now, it's impossible

Yikes!  I just saw that this is someone else’s thread.  Apologies for hijacking it.

jinjima: I see you have another thread.  Thank you again for the additional information. Let me reach out to others on possible next steps. 

Hi hi Jim’s

My compound is different than yours.  In my prescription, it’s very easy to measure doses.  I’m not sure how to measure just drops.  The every 20 + days is ok, though.  It’s easier to think about mgs than drops.  How many mgs are you dropping each 20 days?