Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Flying without benzos?

[Dr...]

Hi everybody, hope you are all ok today :).

The whole reason I got into this mess was due to my severe airplane anxiety. Now I am 8 months completely clean of all benzos and proud of it. Problem is, I am scared that I will never be able to fly again. I have read of stories of people demanding to get off of airplanes once the plane takes off (due to panic and anxiety) and I do not want to be that person. I also never want to have to take benzos again. I haven’t been on a plane without ativan in 15 years. Considering the pandemic, I most likely won’t have to fly for a year or so but I want to start preparing so that when the time comes I am ready. 

Has anyone with a flying phobia successfully flown without benzos?

Well first off, congratulations on being 8 months off of Klonopin. That's great, I'm 10 months off.

As for the airplane anxiety, I think you will be just fine and that you are just imagining it's going to be really bad and thinking that the end of the world is going to happen if you get on a plane without medicine. But it's just a bunch of people sitting there not doing anything for the most part.

I think you would be able to get on the plane and keep your composure and nothing bad will happen whatsoever, other than listening to somebody snoring or something annoying like people talking the whole time. Give it a shot, you might surprise yourself that it wasn't all that bad.

[8d...]

Hi everybody, hope you are all ok today :).

The whole reason I got into this mess was due to my severe airplane anxiety. Now I am 8 months completely clean of all benzos and proud of it. Problem is, I am scared that I will never be able to fly again. I have read of stories of people demanding to get off of airplanes once the plane takes off (due to panic and anxiety) and I do not want to be that person. I also never want to have to take benzos again. I haven’t been on a plane without ativan in 15 years. Considering the pandemic, I most likely won’t have to fly for a year or so but I want to start preparing so that when the time comes I am ready. 

Has anyone with a flying phobia successfully flown without benzos?

Good question I wonder the same. I have

never ever been afraid of flying but now...agora and klaustrophobia I panic

I also get claustrophobic a little bit now that I'm off my meds. Like when I go into a store, feels like I'm trapped. I think it will go away though.

[8d...]

I also get claustrophobic a little bit now that I'm off my meds. Like when I go into a store, feels like I'm trapped. I think it will go away though.

For me I think it is a mix of fear and over stimuli to the brain. I didnt had these my first 2 years off benzo. It might been normal anxiety fight and flight...feeling trapped like u said. I cant sit in a car without freaking out totally...

I know what you mean, some things are just too much. For me, I don't know why but going into a store makes me panic. I don't know what it is I can just be looking at the food on the shelf and then start panicking. There was one day I went to a park on the Waterway close to the beach, and there was these benches right underneath these really cool old oak trees and it was looking out at people kayaking and it was surrounded by Spanish moss and palm trees, a really nice setting. Well, out of nowhere I started to panic looking out at the water. I started having horrible Panic symptoms and I had to leave the park. That wasn't normal.