Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Triggers? What’s yours?

[Ma...]

I though it might be useful to share our triggers or things that make withdrawal worse. Having just had an amazing window I’m back in withdrawal again and I think it was over stimulation..

Here’s what seems to put me back......

Over exercise

A sugar binge (once I ate a whole toblerone, the giant ones! Never again)

Alcohol ( I would feel good for a few days then hit rock bottom) I don’t touch it now.

Over eating

To much stimulation from a video game

Stress

Certain foods

Certain supplements. B5, some forms of B12, some herbs.

To much caffeine 

To much time on a laptop

These all seem quite obvious and I generally stay away from them and eat extremely healthy. There typically seems to be a window where I feel better then indulge in one of the above and put my self back. My own fault!

Matt  :)

Hey MM,

Those pretty much all make my top 10 list as well so we have a lot in common.  I imagine that is the case for many folks here.

Diet is so important, but every now and then I just get tired of 'doing the right thing' and I break down and do something like drink a 20oz Coke, eat ice cream, eat cookies, drink caffeinated coffee, etc.  I need to totally abstain from this stuff because it isn't doing me any good, and the enjoyment is so fleeting anyway.

Doom Eternal released in March and I've played a bunch of it.  I love the series, but it sure does get my anxiety amped up.  I have to take it in small doses.

Stress, ah yes, I think this one goes without saying.  Work stress has certainly exasperated my anxiety and depression, and I feel it has extended my BW recovery as well.  Not much I can do here, I still need to work.

Along with your over eating, I would add eating too late and going to bed too late.  Even if I go to bed at midnight and get 8 hours, it isn't the same as going to be by 9pm and getting 8 hours (and likely more).  I think just the way my circadian rhythm works, I need to be in bed sooner rather than later.

Many news topics trigger me, especially anything about violence.  I avoid watching the news now because of that.

I'm sure I can probably think of some others...

Usually I would advocate against avoidance because it can entrench our fears, but I think these things are worth avoiding or at least abstaining from for now or limiting.

Cheers,

RR

Hey MM,

Those pretty much all make my top 10 list as well so we have a lot in common.  I imagine that is the case for many folks here.

Diet is so important, but every now and then I just get tired of 'doing the right thing' and I break down and do something like drink a 20oz Coke, eat ice cream, eat cookies, drink caffeinated coffee, etc.  I need to totally abstain from this stuff because it isn't doing me any good, and the enjoyment is so fleeting anyway.

Doom Eternal released in March and I've played a bunch of it.  I love the series, but it sure does get my anxiety amped up.  I have to take it in small doses.

Stress, ah yes, I think this one goes without saying.  Work stress has certainly exasperated my anxiety and depression, and I feel it has extended my BW recovery as well.  Not much I can do here, I still need to work.

Along with your over eating, I would add eating too late and going to bed too late.  Even if I go to bed at midnight and get 8 hours, it isn't the same as going to be by 9pm and getting 8 hours (and likely more).  I think just the way my circadian rhythm works, I need to be in bed sooner rather than later.

Many news topics trigger me, especially anything about violence.  I avoid watching the news now because of that.

I'm sure I can probably think of some others...

Usually I would advocate against avoidance because it can entrench our fears, but I think these things are worth avoiding or at least abstaining from for now or limiting.

Cheers,

RR

Hi RR,

Yes, we so have similar things going on. I hear you about eating to late. My binges are rare but when I have one I think what the hell and just go for it! 

I’ve found video games so useful for distraction. I can only play fairly low level stress games at the moment as I don’t want to over stimulated my brain. I used to get this strange anxiety feeling when playing games but I’m glad to say that went. I made a mistake of plugging myself into VR the other day. I absolutely love it but I dont t think it does me any favours at the mo. I think doom would fry my brain. I’m limited to a few point and clicks and low stress games at the moment. In the past I know games have put me back. It’s only temporary so looking forward to getting back into it when I can.

Mm

Very true about video games, I find that too much action gets me all worked up.  I read that even though you know it isn't real and you are playing for fun, your body still reacts to the stress and anxiety as if it was a real event.  So, there isn't any reduction of the outcome of stress just because it is a game and it is fun.

I find that even some of the games that should be less stressful like 'Civilization' where you gather resources and build cities will get me stressed because there are too many decisions to make, lol.  I used to be able to immerse myself in Civ for hours and hours, but now I can only play for a short period of time before I have to hang it up and take a break.

A good rule of thumb is MODERATION.  I think as long as we don't overdo any single thing (eating, gaming, exercising) then we can still enjoy life while supporting our recovery.

Cheers,

RR