Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Seeking bravery want to try taper - prob titration

[Ph...]

Hello all,

Sending love and light. Have been taking Ativan for almost 20 years. For the first approximately 18 years, I was prescribed 1 mg in a 24 hour period (.5 mg dose) everyday.

Almost two years ago, my dosage was upped to a total of 2 mg in a 24 hour period, dispensed in 1 mg pills, I take 1 mg at night and 1 mg in the morning. I am a single empty nester and am fortunate enough to still be employed even w our currrent global situation, and am able to work from home. To say that I want to taper is an understatement. I have been taking this so long that my first three doctors have retired. For whatever reason I do not want to try the cross-taper Valium method, I am feeling like the best route might be titration.

Above everything, I am so glad this group is here. When appropriate, would love best advice on sloooowwww taper and which mortar and pestle and graduated cylinder are best to buy.

With greatest thanks,

Philli47

[13...]

Hello Philla47 and welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You have come to a great place for support and information on tapering benzos.  You are wise to taper slowly.  No more than a 5-10% reduction every 10-14 days is generally recommended.  I've included a link to the message board regarding taper planning:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

I encourage you to explore our website as there as a wealth on information here.  You may find some recommendations on a mortal and pestle and graduated cylinder.  If not, some of our members might make recommendations.

Getting off benzos can be a challenge but it can be done!  The Success Stories Board has very encouraging stories from members who have done just that and I've put a link below:

Success Stories

I wish you all the best in your efforts and look forward to getting to know you.

Best,

Kate

Hello all,

Sending love and light. Have been taking Ativan for almost 20 years. For the first approximately 18 years, I was prescribed 1 mg in a 24 hour period (.5 mg dose) everyday.

Almost two years ago, my dosage was upped to a total of 2 mg in a 24 hour period, dispensed in 1 mg pills, I take 1 mg at night and 1 mg in the morning. I am a single empty nester and am fortunate enough to still be employed even w our currrent global situation, and am able to work from home. To say that I want to taper is an understatement. I have been taking this so long that my first three doctors have retired. For whatever reason I do not want to try the cross-taper Valium method, I am feeling like the best route might be titration.

Above everything, I am so glad this group is here. When appropriate, would love best advice on sloooowwww taper and which mortar and pestle and graduated cylinder are best to buy.

With greatest thanks,

Philli47

Hello Philli47,

Great decision to make the first step and start thinking about planning your taper. Just to relieve your worries, not everyone have difficulties with letting go, regardless how long hey have been on their benzodiazepines. Many people on this forum successfully tapered from their medication multiple times with only mild or even no symptoms. Some are not so fortunate and they are having withdrawal symptoms but most of the time manageable. Especially if they are prepared with a good plan and have an understanding, skilled doctor to help them through rough patches and of course family, friends and a good support group such as BenzoBuddies are also helpful. I hope you will find all the knowledge and support necessary to successfully put your benzo years behind.

Thank you so much for both of your extremely helpful welcome messages. I am very grateful.