Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What do you tell your children?

[be...]

I'm wondering how others have been explaining to children (10 years old) what's happening to them when going thru withdrawal.  Thanks.

I told my older children that I was prescribed a medicine that was supposed to help me, but it instead made me sicker. Now, I have to slowly take less and less of it until I won’t take it anymore. I also told them that I’ve learned an important lesson for our family - this kind of medicine is not safe for us.

They’ve been so sweet about mommy not feeling well (it began with interdose withdrawal and continues now with mild w/d symptoms as I taper), but it’s been the hardest part of all of it for me. I have always been on top of everything to do with my family. I got sideswiped by this in March, was shocked to find myself dependent after less than 3 weeks, and now I’m tapering as responsibly as I can to remain functional for my kids and husband.

I’m finding it hard to be functional.  I feel so anxious and almost anything can trigger it.  And, anxiety on top of anxiety, I feel anxious about damaging my children and family.  We really only have each other, no real support network.

I have had some meltdowns in front of my children, which scares them.  My husband is doing his best.  But there are so many stressors.

My son will be 5 this month, I’ve just told him that mommy is reducing a medication she doesn’t want to take anymore and it makes her feel unwell sometimes.

You have to take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time. You will get through this. Time and patience.

Ugh, I’m so worried about this. It seems a lot of people here don’t have children (or maybe they’re grown or they just don’t mention them), so I wonder how I would cope with severe withdrawal symptoms. I have three young children. As you can see in my signature, everything went just fine the first time around, but I have serious doubts this time as I’m taking such a large dose.

Aside from what to tell them, how do you take care of them? I am also afraid of what I do about my job. I work from home but if I’m really sick, how can I do that? I’m so stressed out just thinking about this.