Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

3 months into taper, how long to go?

[Jo...]

Happy May Day! Quitting Brotizolam was something I never planned to do until retirement (5 years to go). I’d take .25-.375 at bedtime and it was lights out and I was good to go at my high stress job the next day. Always felt normal and all was good. I had been following this course for almost nine years. I would visit my doctor in Japan a few times a year and get my prescription refilled. Well in February I RAN OUT and given the changes in the world and my personal circumstances, I was unable to get to Japan. Fortunately, I had a reserve of prescription Etizolam and Zolpidem (Ambien) docs gave me for sleep that I kept, just in case, that I never used. I thought they would be basically the same but I was VERY wrong. First day of switching (.5 mg Etizolam and 10 mg. of Zolpidem) I got whacked! All the classic benzo withdrawal horrible symptoms members describe on this forum. The following evening, I increased the Etizolam does to 1.5 mg of Etizolam along with 10 mg, Zolpidem at bedtime. That made mornings better but I would get hit in the afternoon. I could survive until evening when a couple beers would hold me over until my bedtime dose. Today marks three months of my transition from Brotizolam to my Etizolam/Zolpidem combo. I have since reduced my Etizolam dose to .625 mg. (plan to reduce to .5 mg tonight) and 6.25 mg. Zolpidem. My plan is to get to 5 mg. of Zolpidem, hold there, and reduce the Etizolam by .125 mg. every two weeks and jump at .125 mg. (still on the 5 mg. Zolpidem). Couple questions. Does this sound reasonable? Will I be benzo free once off Etizolam but still on 5 mg. of Zolpidem? To be honest, this has been a rough ride but things seem to be getting better. The bright side of the pandemic is I have been teleworking and work stress has been reduced.