Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Weight Gain (rapid!)

[...]

Has anyone had crazy weight fluctuations coming off Klonopin? It’s been 14 months fully off but the swelling and weight gain is crazy. I am 28 years old and work out 5-6 times per week (lifting &running). Running seems to make it worse for sure. I feel much better in many ways but cannot control my weight. I can easily gain 5-10 pounds in a matter of days in the most uncomfortable/rapid fashion. Again, strenuous cardio seems to exasperate the problem but it’s not like it’s gone when I decide to take a week off. Any suggestions on controlling this problem? Thanks!
  • Sad 1

I am near 5'7 and never weighed more than 123 or so.

When I started healing from benzos I gained about 20 pounds in a few months. I can't fit into any of my clothes and my self-esteem is super low. I am even more active now then I was and that hasn't mattered. In my case I think it messed up my hormones and that has contributed it to it for sure. But who really knows?

I had terrible full-body edema - not just benzo belly, but swollen legs, arms, face, you name it.  My doctor tested me extensively, and found no medical explanation.  It would go away in windows (I'd pee out a ton of fluid over a day or so), but return in waves.  An awful symptom, I know. Hang in there.  WR

Thanks for the replies. I can relate to the full body edema very well! This weight gain is rapid (and often painful) but then sometimes it will dramatically go down in a brief window for no reason I can come up with. This has been by far my most persistent and worst symptom after quitting Klonopin (4mg/day) cold turkey. I’m just wondering if there is anything to help or if anyone has experienced relief from something like this over time? I’m thankful I’ve been able to start working out again the last few months but this swelling/water weight gain continues to plague me and puts a real damper on life.
  • Sad 1