Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Conazapam Taper

[So...]

Hi all,

I’m here because because I’ve decided to go forward with a clonazapam taper. I’m taking 5 mg. which I know is a high dose and that I’ve got my work cut out for me. I will be using the Ashton manual as my guide but I know that I will have lots of questions along the way and am very grateful for this forum and for having a place to get help during my tapering journey.

Hello Soluna,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies!  Yes, your dose is high and clonazepam is a very strong benzo but with a slow sensible taper you'll be able to withdraw from this medication.

I'm glad you are aware of the Ashton Manual, it has helped many people understand more about these types of drugs and offers good information about tapering.  Are you planning to crossover to valium or do a direct taper from clonazepam? Either way, you'll find good support here as you work towards your goal of being benzo free.

It is usually suggested to taper no more then 5-10% every 10-14 days. This can help to minimize withdrawal symptoms. No plan needs to remain rigid and unchanged. It is fine to adjust the taper to allow your body to get used to the dose changes. I'll give you a link to the Planning Your Withdrawal Board for more information.

In case you don't have the Ashton Manual at your fingertips, I'll also provide you a link to it.

Arm yourself with a lot of information and you'll find the plan that works best for you.  By joining the forum you'll see you are not alone, it's really comforting to know others are experiencing the same things and that others have been successful with their tapers and have gone on to heal. 

Settle in and do some reading and let us know how we can help.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)

Hi pianogirl,

Thank you very much for your reply and for the links. :-)  In regard to your question about about Valium, I was actually planning on going the titration route, but I'm open to other taper plans so I guess I’ll see how things go.

So I saw that you suggested to a member who’s talking 2-4 mg. of Klonopin to stabilize their dose before tapering. I actually take 5 mg. of clonazapam a day on average. I take 2 mg. tablets and alternate between 3 pills on one night and 2 pills on the other. (I’ve been doing this for a few years.) Since clonazapam is long acting and stays in your system, I don’t really notice much of a difference, although I don’t think I’ve been sleeping as long on 2 pill nights lately. (I haven’t really been paying that much attention to differences in sleeping amounts because I actually take them for chronic muscle and nerve pain.)

However, I could split pills and take a (roughly) even 5 mg. for a period of time (2 weeks?) before I start to taper. Do you think I need to do that?

Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Soluna

Hi pianogirl,

Thank you very much for your reply and for the links. :-)  In regard to your question about about Valium, I was actually planning on going the titration route, but I'm open to other taper plans so I guess I’ll see how things go.

So I saw that you suggested to a member who’s talking 2-4 mg. of Klonopin to stabilize their dose before tapering. I actually take 5 mg. of clonazapam a day on average. I take 2 mg. tablets and alternate between 3 pills on one night and 2 pills on the other. (I’ve been doing this for a few years.) Since clonazapam is long acting and stays in your system, I don’t really notice much of a difference, although I don’t think I’ve been sleeping as long on 2 pill nights lately. (I haven’t really been paying that much attention to differences in sleeping amounts because I actually take them for chronic muscle and nerve pain.)

However, I could split pills and take a (roughly) even 5 mg. for a period of time (2 weeks?) before I start to taper. Do you think I need to do that?

Thank you again for your help. I really appreciate it!

Soluna

I would likely do this. I'm glad you are not noticing huge differences when you alternate doses but the equation changes considerably when you start to reduce the dose of this strong benzo.

PG  :smitten:

Hi Soluna,

Good that you’ve decided to taper the clonazepam.  5 mgs clonazepam is a high dose.  That’s ok, it’s your starting point.  You will be free of it entirely eventually.  You are taking pills.  In order to reduce only 5-10% per cut, you will need the benzo in a compound form.  It’s impossible to cut a pill that way accurately.  Your dr can prescribe a liquid compound, prepared by a compound pharmacy.  It’s very easy to measure small cuts that way.  Accurate doses are important.  Welcome to BB!

Hi Healing64,

Thank you very much for your reply and for the information. That’s very interesting. I actually did a fair amount of research about tapering a few years ago but I need to go back and reread a lot of things to refresh my memory. I kind of just dove in to introducing myself here, but I’ve realized I’ve got a lot of catching up to do so that I can have informed conversations with people. But I’m sure I’ll have a lot more questions then!

Anyway, thank you again! :-)