Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Ativan during Zoloft initiation

[cj...]

Since January 2020, I have been on lexapro, Prozac and Zoloft and experienced anxiety with all. Was given ativan to use as needed, but did not use much until the doctor switched me to Zoloft and told me to take it three times a day while getting used to the Zoloft. That was 12 days ago. I took .5 mg 3x day. I find as the ativan wears off that I experience depression. So my question is how do I start coming off it? My doctor has ordered intuniv to see if it helps with anxiety (anyone tried this) but it hasn’t come yet. This morning I took .25 instead of .5 and thought maybe I would take 4 more .25 doses during the day. Could I be addicted after 12 days regular use?

Hello cjeanr56,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies. Antidepressants like prozac and zolft can be stimulating at the start and can increase anxiety until the body adjusts to the drug.

With only 12 days of ativan I don't think you have developed a physical dependency. Ativan has a pretty short half life so it's not surprising that you feel withdrawal between doses.

The best plan, in my opinion, is to follow a rapid taper. The longer you stay on the drug, the stronger the chance for dependency.  For short term users, say two to three weeks, we generally recommend tapering 50% and waiting for 5 days and then taper another 50%, continuing this until off.

You may feel some withdrawal but it should be relatively short lived.

It's very good that you are staying within recommended usage guidelines of 2-3 weeks. 

Please ask questions, we're here to help.

pianogirl  :)