Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anxiety

[Bp...]

What are you guys doing now to help with anxiety? Mine has been through the roof lately with the Covid 19. I’m not sure what to do. It is constant day in and day out I’m at a losss at the moment.

Covid is scaring the hell out of me too, as I am in a very high risk category.

Anxiety and fear will always be the most common withdrawal symptom. Understanding that is important. Once you know WHY this is so, it might make it a bit easier to bear.

What worked for me back when I went through this was slow, deep, belly breathing. I was surprised it helped so much. I recall sitting on my sofa, taking long deep breaths in. Holding them at the top, and then slowly letting them go out. If you do this often enough it really does help calm anxiety. Something else helped me too. Listening to relaxation videos on YouTube helped a LOT. You have to listen to them over and over to allow the "hypnotic" suggestions filter into your brain. I listened a lot, and began to sleep a bit more normally. I began to notice the hypnoti cues that were given. Even now, if I say to myself "right now" I relax just a bit.

This stuff works.

east

Hi Bpc,

Anxiety in withdrawal is brutal on its own - the current health crisis amps it up through the roof for many of us.  It's really hard to cope and it's good you're reaching out here.  You can bet many members are feeling what you're feeling.

To add to eastcoast's great suggestions:

It's a useful mantra - self care and distraction - these are crucial to coping with anxiety.    Gentle exercise, a healthful diet, a soothing warm bath, yoga, calming teas, staying well hydrated, pleasant aromas - what are you doing for self care?

Distraction is also key - finding activities that take your attention away from worrying thoughts and feelings - watching something absorbing but not triggering on TV, diving into a novel, working on a craft, drawing, painting, etc., even cleaning your house.

Meditation is enormously helpful for many of us, (not everyone) - it helps develop the ability to shift our attention away from thoughts and feelings our benzo withdrawal brain is begging us to focus on.

Hang in there - take it an hour at a time even - you will get through this,

Brighterday

What great suggestions, Brighterday!

Anxiety in benzo wd is perhaps the most common symptom. Anxiety and its big sister FEAR rule us for way to long. Try not to let this get to you. It is normal to feel like this. Your brain is simply trying to heal from the benzos. And it will, if given enough time.

Please keep on going, no matter what. Better days are in front of you. And all you have to do is wait for them and try to cope with your wd symptos as best you can.

Thats what ALL of us do here.

east