Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Crisis situation

[CM...]

I have been taking magnesium my whole taper. Never had a problem.

As I got towards the end of my taper and since I jumped it’s been making me worse. Last night I was having a cortisol rush at 2am and had a glass and things got bad. I haven’t had a break from the rushes since 2am. I’m flooded with stress hormones. My adrenals are shot. I don’t know what to do.

Do I use a beta blocker. Do I go on an AD. Do I reinstate. I know nobody here is going to think I should do any of the above but my body is in a bad way. The rushes will not stop. I had adrenal fatigue my whole taper and it’s gotten worse since I jumped. I can’t take much longer. I don’t see these stopping. They’ve never lasted this long. A bunch of ppl have said to take the propranolol and that it’ll stop the rushes but I’m terrified to take a heart pill. Even tho ppl swear by it. I have to do something.

I am sorry you have to go through this. I had to go through that, too. :'(

A cardiologist once told me to jump up and down for 5 minutes, after that it was better. I dont know if you can do that at all, but maybe give it a try. I had seen cardiologists, had every test you can imagine, I gave 2 beta blockers a try, but the feeling under them made my anxiety worse because my body felt like it needs to push and a burden on my chest surpressed that action.. hard to describe.

If you want to give a beta blocker a try, you might need just half or a quarter of a pill, so I would start with a little amount and see what happens. But I would try the physical part first, this will lower the cortisol. A beta blocker does not lower a cortisol rush, it just surpasses the fast heartbeat.

If magnesium now makes things worse, nothing bad about stopping it right now. Your body is wise, if magnesium is not good at the moment, well then stop it. Now is a new situation, you are not tapering anymore, your body might want something else (not a medication actually.. but who knows).

Overall your symptoms keep changing and this is good, in my eyes. Of course it feels like hell for you, it did for me, too..

I hope you feel better soon. Come here and vent whenever you need. Or if you want a hug... :smitten:

You are still very early off benzos.  Would it be possible that you are feeling withdrawal now, not a reaction to the magnesium.  Since you took it your entire taper, it might not be the problem. That being said, some people can not tolerate magnesium.  Additionally, I believe our bodies react differently in recovery than during the taper process. I was actually able to drink coffee during my taper but after my jump off it turned on me. It was many months before I even attempted to try decaf.

pianogirl  :smitten:

I can totally relate to the cortisol rushes, early morning like clockwork. BUT...every once in awhile I get a break from it - which NEVER  happened before.AND there are days now where it is less intense. This tells me something is changing for good. Lots of those who have recovered before us have had it.. and worse (like all day long!). And it stopped for them too.

If you need to try something for it, I understand. But I've read a lot that it does re-regulate on its own.I know its not fast enough....but we have time.

I'm learning how to ride it out and cope with it.

[25...]
I would drop the magnesium, it made me feel even worse in the early day’s too , those crazy rushes won’t last much longer I don’t think , mine were gone after about three months . Just keep up the fight , I know it don’t seem like it could get any worse , but reinstatement after this long could make it worse.

As I got towards the end of my taper and since I jumped it’s been making me worse. Last night I was having a cortisol rush at 2am and had a glass and things got bad. I haven’t had a break from the rushes since 2am. I’m flooded with stress hormones. My adrenals are shot. I don’t know what to do.

Do I use a beta blocker. Do I go on an AD. Do I reinstate. I know nobody here is going to think I should do any of the above but my body is in a bad way. The rushes will not stop. I had adrenal fatigue my whole taper and it’s gotten worse since I jumped. I can’t take much longer. I don’t see these stopping. They’ve never lasted this long. A bunch of ppl have said to take the propranolol and that it’ll stop the rushes but I’m terrified to take a heart pill. Even tho ppl swear by it. I have to do something.

I am really sorry you are having these problems. I think you are very sensitive to glutamate now. I have read some of your posts and I can relate to alot of the symptoms you are having from foods and supplements. I cannot take magnesium at all either. I used to take the citrate form not knowing that the citrate is processed and has free glutamic acid in it. That is an excitotoxin. I had to learn all about glutamate and hidden forms of msg and foods that are naturally high in free glutamic acid and really try to avoid these. Once I did that and also had to get rid of all cleaning chemicals and detergents and soaps etc. And choose natural things, my symptoms got alot better. I had to change the way I eat. I stopped all supplements. Especially anything in a gelatin capsule. The gelatin when processed forms free glutamic acid which is like eating msg. My body became sensitive to all these things when I ct off of an AD years ago. Then I went on benzos which is why I think  it didnt get better. I didnt know why it happened at the time until my benzo wd. Now I know that's what it was from. I hope this helps.

Eliza

[e2...]

You mentioned the end of your taper...I cold turkeyed from 0.25, but it sounds like Acute withdrawal hell to me.  The pain is so real, and we always look for a remedy.  My friend is a therapist, she explained that furry animals Ie: bunnies will shake off the cortisol

after a flight or flight response.  So they were almost eaten, get somewhere safe and shake it off...shake shake shake off the cortisol...lol...oh my gosh listen to me.  I really Hope you feel better soon, I still experience cortisol spikes and am symptomatic.  I feel Your pain, we all heal in time. 

Shake it off, shake it off :)

Love

FL

You mentioned the end of your taper...I cold turkeyed from 0.25, but it sounds like Acute withdrawal hell to me.  The pain is so real, and we always look for a remedy.  My friend is a therapist, she explained that furry animals Ie: bunnies will shake off the cortisol

after a flight or flight response.  So they were almost eaten, get somewhere safe and shake it off...shake shake shake off the cortisol...lol...oh my gosh listen to me.  I really Hope you feel better soon, I still experience cortisol spikes and am symptomatic.  I feel Your pain, we all heal in time. 

Shake it off, shake it off :)

Love

FL

There are yoga poses in which you shake and wiggle it all out! I used to bounce up and down on the tip of the toes when I was in a supermarket cause there I used to get panic attacks. After a while a neighbor asked me about my ballet classes.. I said what?? He said, I saw you doing your exercises in the supermarket!! haha!:-)

I am really sorry you are having these problems. I think you are very sensitive to glutamate now. I have read some of your posts and I can relate to alot of the symptoms you are having from foods and supplements. I cannot take magnesium at all either. I used to take the citrate form not knowing that the citrate is processed and has free glutamic acid in it. That is an excitotoxin. I had to learn all about glutamate and hidden forms of msg and foods that are naturally high in free glutamic acid and really try to avoid these. Once I did that and also had to get rid of all cleaning chemicals and detergents and soaps etc. And choose natural things, my symptoms got alot better. I had to change the way I eat. I stopped all supplements. Especially anything in a gelatin capsule. The gelatin when processed forms free glutamic acid which is like eating msg. My body became sensitive to all these things when I ct off of an AD years ago. Then I went on benzos which is why I think  it didnt get better. I didnt know why it happened at the time until my benzo wd. Now I know that's what it was from. I hope this helps.

Eliza

Hm. The magnesium I took is called Magnesium Calm. It has citric acid in it. (Made from non gmo sugar beets it says) I wonder if the citric acid is causing some sort of issue. Yesterday was by the far the worst day of my life. Then I slept 11 hours. Makes no sense. They were cortisol rushes from hell. Unlike nothing I’ve experienced before. Terrified they will happen today.

Eliza

Hm. The magnesium I took is called Magnesium Calm. It has citric acid in it. (Made from non gmo sugar beets it says) I wonder if the citric acid is causing some sort of issue. Yesterday was by the far the worst day of my life. Then I slept 11 hours. Makes no sense. They were cortisol rushes from hell. Unlike nothing I’ve experienced before. Terrified they will happen today.

No need to be terrified, this is just withdrawal and nothing makes any sense now - just because it is withdrawal. things change quickly - but this is  a good thing also. You are doing great, buddy!

Elizadoolitle:

interesting fact about those gelatin capsules! And I always thought they were the healthier form to take! I learn something new every week on this site..

Eliza

That is the brand of magnesium I was taking too. I also had tried other magnesium citrate. I had intense anxiety, high blood pressure, palpitations l,headaches, head pressure, facial flushing, chest pain, panic attacks. All these symptoms I got from magnesium and anything else I ate or took thinking it would help, but was a high glutamate or processed free glutamic acid and caused a reaction for me.

I haven't taken magnesium since and avoid whatever caused those symptoms for me.

What has high glutamate in it tho in this supplement?

Also, worried I’m gunna do thru magnesium withdrawal as others have said they went thru that.

Also, worried I’m gunna do thru magnesium withdrawal as others have said they went thru that.

I am not convinced about the hole glutamate theory. If it was that easy everyone here would react on the same things, but that is just not the case. Some profit from magnesium, others react on it. Same for different kind of food, supplements, heat, cold, - whatever.

At the moment you might worry about everything and be afraid of everything cause your brain is just in withdrawal. I would not make major changes now, you could try to stick to a lower dosage of magnesium for some days and then stop it. Magnesium does not cause a real withdrawal, although people explain what they feel like with this word. You did not have any problem with magnesium before you said, so I would assume at the moment its is rather acute withdrawal form the benzo making you feel that way, but you can test it out, by playing around with the dosage of magnesium, if you like. But try not to become hypochondrial about it. You reacted on a walk, you will react on other things - because your nervous system is over-reacting right now. This will become better with time.

Magnesium suddenly made me feel horrible as did anything containing citric acid or sugar alcohols and all meds even aspirin I am supposed to take daily to prevent clotting due to chronic blood cancer that had for decades.

When citrate or citric acid is processed, it forms free glutamic acid which for sensitive individuals can cause reactions..

Before my AD ct. I was able to eat anything and take whatever supplement I wanted. It took me along time to figure out about my chemical sensitivities and food sensitivities that developed as a result of the wd. So I went on ativan not knowing I would only regret it 4 years later.

Everyone develops different symptoms from their wd. Some have symptoms that can be pretty prominent over others.

All I know is free glutamic acid can cause alot of symptoms for certain people and I am one of them. I pray it will not always be that way, but in the mean time I try to avoid whatever causes those symptoms for me, as much as I can. I have recently noticed too, that eating too much dairy makes my anxiety worse, so I am just trying to keep it more limited. All I would say is just do your research on it, if you keep noticing a pattern. I was able to take magnesium before the ct. Sometimes our bodies change, and maybe it's just for a season. I pray so. I also have chronic lyme disease and I think I just got so screwed up also from the medications I was on for that too, all that happened after my ct from AD as well.

A great help to me was a book called Battling the MSG Myth. It helped me alot with figuring out what was affecting me.

I pray you start feeling better soon.

Eliza