Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Help needed with 12.5 Valium taper

[fa...]

[fa...]

Hello,

I would like to plan to taper as much of 12.5 Valium as possible.  Is the Ashton method too fast for most people?

What is the smoothest way to go?

Thank you

I see you've posted on direct tapers and titration as well, are you interested in cutting your pills or using titration?  Let us know what you decide.

But to answer your question, some find her taper schedule too fast, others have no problem.  You never know until you try.

I imagine it must seem very daunting as you have been on benzos for a long time. I've been there. I still am there, I guess (1.25mg left to taper - need to update my signature).

It's difficult to know how to start because you want to give yourself the best possible chance of being successful by doing the right things. The thing is, you can't know exactly what the best thing is to do because you don't have enough experience. So you kinda just have to give it a go and concentrate on getting this started rather than finished (you have a long way to go).

It's suggested that you cut between 10-20% of your dose every 1-2 weeks and that's a pretty good rule of thumb. If you reduce any faster, things can quickly spiral out of control. Much slower and progress is incredibly slow. Since you're at the start of this journey and just feeling things out, why not aim for the slower end of this suggested schedule? So look to reduce by 10% in 2 weeks. So you could take 12mg week one and 11.5mg for week two and see how you are coping. Once you've established a plan and it doesn't seem as daunting, concentrate on reaching milestones rather than getting to the end. So first, you're aiming to get stable on 10mg. You might be able to keep going but it is not a bad idea to have a rest even if you could technically carry on. Hold for an extra week or two before carrying on.

It won't be the easiest thing you have ever done but it shouldn't seem impossible. If it does, then slow down. It can be frustrating to hold at the same dose but as long as you never increase, you can feel reassured that you are going in the right direction. It might take 6 months to get to 7.5mg if you go slowly but that's significant progress.

I reduced my dose much too quickly at first and I thought I was losing it. It feels like you're broken and can't be fixed. I've been through it a few times but I always mend. I've probably got a few more cycles of this... clinging on feeling completely shattered, knowing in theory that I'm not permanently broken but not really believing it. The point is, hang in there. Things are going to feel wrong and sometimes very wrong. If they feel very wrong, don't change your dose. Stay at the same dose until you feel alright again. Every time you start again with your reductions, make sure you are on as stable a footing as possible.

Sounds like you just need some encouragement starting out. Hope this helped.

[fa...]
Thank you.  You have been very helpful.  I plan to go very, very slow,.  I am just finishing tapering 5mg prozac>. Seems like a little for most people, but I am struggling with it.  Adjusting by .01 per day.  I am extremely sensitive to these drugs..  I see you suffered PAWS from antidepressant too.  Isn’t that horrible???