Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Heart rate after eating

[CM...]

Every time I eat recently, my heart rate is going high and I’ll get some itchiness and anxiety. I haven’t changed anything I’m eating. I’m eating low histamine and an anti inflammatory diet. I don’t get why this is happening. It’s gotta be histamine related. I feel like my histamine issues will never resolve.

Are you just more aware of your heart beat now?

Can you feel it pulsating through you?

I’d assume a higher HR after eating is normal, but you wouldn’t have noticed pre withdrawal.

That seems totally normal to me now in hindsight. I had this symptom all the time, quite intensely. It can be very anxiety- and even panic provoking if you are not prepared for it and don't know that it's coming.

Some potential tips:

-Don't eat too late in the day. The heart rate might persist at a higher level, and you may be hyper-aware of it as well, which in combination will make sleeping pretty much impossible unless you take a beta-blocker. At least, that was the case for me. I only ever took the beta-blockers when it was extreme and even after hours on end I couldn't sleep.

-Don't eat too much volume at once. I'd recommend that you take the amount of food you'd like to eat to feel fully satiated, and eat only half to 2/3 of it quite slowly. Let it be digested for an hour or two, then eat the rest. I noticed that when my body had to expend energy and blood-volume for digestion, the anxiety and higher pulse would kick in.

-Watch what you eat. High-carb meals triggered my anxiety. Doesn't mean that you should go low-carb, it just means don't gorge yourself on carbohydrates. Also excessive amounts of fat. You'll just have to figure this out for yourself what you can stomach and what not.

Over time this issue gets (excruciatingly slowly, like the whole healing process) better, and for me it has gotten so good now that I eat even late at night sometimes, although I really wouldn't recommend it. My pulse still rises if I eat, but not as much, and the hyper-awareness and "thumping", super intense, hard heart-beat is gone. It used to be so bad that if I layed on my back in bed, my whole upper body seemingly moved with every heart beat because there was so much force behind it. It has calmed down since to a relatively normal intensity.

Every time I eat recently, my heart rate is going high and I’ll get some itchiness and anxiety. I haven’t changed anything I’m eating. I’m eating low histamine and an anti inflammatory diet. I don’t get why this is happening. It’s gotta be histamine related. I feel like my histamine issues will never resolve.

I get the same, but also my body temp rises and land up with burning skin mainly around my torso after eating. And thats not necessarily eating carbs neither, it is when I eat anything. I have got body temp regulation issues as well due to being poly drugged with prescription medication.

That seems totally normal to me now in hindsight. I had this symptom all the time, quite intensely. It can be very anxiety- and even panic provoking if you are not prepared for it and don't know that it's coming.

Some potential tips:

-Don't eat too late in the day. The heart rate might persist at a higher level, and you may be hyper-aware of it as well, which in combination will make sleeping pretty much impossible unless you take a beta-blocker. At least, that was the case for me. I only ever took the beta-blockers when it was extreme and even after hours on end I couldn't sleep.

-Don't eat too much volume at once. I'd recommend that you take the amount of food you'd like to eat to feel fully satiated, and eat only half to 2/3 of it quite slowly. Let it be digested for an hour or two, then eat the rest. I noticed that when my body had to expend energy and blood-volume for digestion, the anxiety and higher pulse would kick in.

-Watch what you eat. High-carb meals triggered my anxiety. Doesn't mean that you should go low-carb, it just means don't gorge yourself on carbohydrates. Also excessive amounts of fat. You'll just have to figure this out for yourself what you can stomach and what not.

Over time this issue gets (excruciatingly slowly, like the whole healing process) better, and for me it has gotten so good now that I eat even late at night sometimes, although I really wouldn't recommend it. My pulse still rises if I eat, but not as much, and the hyper-awareness and "thumping", super intense, hard heart-beat is gone. It used to be so bad that if I layed on my back in bed, my whole upper body seemingly moved with every heart beat because there was so much force behind it. It has calmed down since to a relatively normal intensity.

Thanks Neversurrender for these suggestions and advice, will give it a try.

Kind Regards,

CyberA

Not necessarily my heart, but I do notice I feel "revved up" after eating for awhile. then it passes. I'm being quite conscious about what I eat. It mimics that anxiety feeling. I tell myself " Its just the food - give it time".

Glad to hear from neversurrender that this does go away:)