Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

~Will Nausea EVER End~Clonazepam Taper~

[Se...]

I successfully tapered off alprazolam six months ago. Nausea is still severe and relentless as I continue to taper off clonazepam. Nausea begins every morning between 3 and 4 o’clock.  There’s usually a brief respite late afternoon/early evening.  It doesn’t last long.

My current clonazepam dose is .16mg/day using DLMT and equally dosing four times a day.

Meds and OTC products I’ve used:  Zofran, promethazine, prochlorperazine, sucralfate, metoclopramide, meclizine, hydroxyzine, mirtazapine (Remeron) and olanzapine (Zyprexa) (still take both every day), CBD, medical marijuana, Dramamine, Tums, Maalox, ginger caps, ginger tea, chamomile tea, peppermint, peppermint tea, Sea Bands and probably more things my fried brain can’t thing of right now.  None really helped and most gave me unacceptable side effects.

Any useful tips or other methods/meds I may not have tried?

At this point, I have to believe getting off the poison may be my only salvation.  I’m seriously considering jumping.  I stopped alprazolam at .17mg BUT was still taking 1mg clonazepam (a bad crossover thanks to psychiatrist).  It just pisses me off I could be benzo free for six months by now had it not been for the psychiatrist and his poor conversion skills. Do no harm. Okay. Sure.

So, if you have anything to add or just well wishes, I’d appreciate it!!

SG

💜

Chew ginger tablets.  I see you’ve already tried ginger.  How long have you tried any one thing?  Your stomachs needs a rest from so many trial and errors.  Choose whichever has been most promising with no other side effects.  Honestly, ginger should work.  The nausea may also be food related.  Have you considered stopping dairy and gluten?  Food sensitivities are very common in withdrawal.  You can also eat more often but  small portions. 

I’ve been gluten free for more than a year due to high antibodies with Hashimoto’s (hypothyroidism). The only dairy I eat is yogurt.  No caffeine, no sugar, no MSG or artificial sugar. I’ve tried each of these “remedies” for a couple of days.  Some less than others as the side effects were readily apparent.  None are promising or without side effects. Ginger caps do not work.  I’ve had ginger candies (made with real ginger) too and other than heartburn, I didn’t notice any difference or benefit. I drink a lot of water....at least ten 16oz bottles a day.

I’ve been at this and suffering with nausea for more than 18 months.  I’m well aware of food sensitivities and stick to a very strict diet.  Things I know are “safe”.  I eat very small portions and have frequent healthy snacks during the day.  Recently I gained back 5 of 50 pounds I lost.  Probably med related.  I’m still very underweight.

I’m hoping at this point nausea will just stop with the lower dosage of benzo.

Actually praying for that.

Thank you for the ideas.

SG

I successfully tapered off alprazolam six months ago. Nausea is still severe and relentless as I continue to taper off clonazepam. Nausea begins every morning between 3 and 4 o’clock.  There’s usually a brief respite late afternoon/early evening.  It doesn’t last long.

My current clonazepam dose is .16mg/day using DLMT and equally dosing four times a day.

Meds and OTC products I’ve used:  Zofran, promethazine, prochlorperazine, sucralfate, metoclopramide, meclizine, hydroxyzine, mirtazapine (Remeron) and olanzapine (Zyprexa) (still take both every day), CBD, medical marijuana, Dramamine, Tums, Maalox, ginger caps, ginger tea, chamomile tea, peppermint, peppermint tea, Sea Bands and probably more things my fried brain can’t thing of right now.  None really helped and most gave me unacceptable side effects.

At this point, I have to believe getting off the poison may be my only salvation.  I’m seriously considering jumping.  I stopped alprazolam at .17mg BUT was still taking 1mg clonazepam (a bad crossover thanks to psychiatrist).  It just pisses me off I could be benzo free for six months by now had it not been for the psychiatrist and his poor conversion skills. Do no harm. Okay. Sure.

SG

💜

It looks like to me that you have tried everything known to humankind to relieve your nausea symptoms. They are all good ideas and work for some people. So sorry that you have to suffer with no relief and that you lost so much weight! Congratulation on the 5 pounds gained back recently!

I have suffered from nausea for several months and lost about 15 pounds because of the inability to eat and I thought I never be able to enjoy food again. I also have Hashimoto's.

As I managed to decrease my clonazepam dosage the nausea subsided and now I can eat more. During withdrawal my food preferences are completely changed, almost like a became a completely different person. Now I eat salads, lots of fruits and vegetables, I actually enjoy them. Before I used to eat kind of "junk food" . I was desperate to gain weight after the nausea lessened and I let my body get whatever I was able to hold. For several weeks I was living on hot chocholate with whipped cream, almost exclusively that's all my body wanted. I used to have up to 8 cups of hot chocholate  throughout the day, was worried a bit but that was my transition to between not being able to hold down anything and the return to being able to eat. Before withdrawal a never liked hot chocholate, all the dietary changes and preferences are very surprising for me.

I have tried many of your remedies during my "nausea" period, none of them worked for me either. I think the over stimulated CNS produces the nausea symptoms and I believe when you are finally off of benzo your symptoms should improve within a few weeks.

Sept, I so relate to your commitment to try every solution for the nausea. I admire your determination. I don’t have much to offer tonight, except to say you are doing great and you will make it. Saying prayers for you.

SG

💜

It looks like to me that you have tried everything known to humankind to relieve your nausea symptoms. They are all good ideas and work for some people. So sorry that you have to suffer with no relief and that you lost so much weight! Congratulation on the 5 pounds gained back recently!

I have suffered from nausea for several months and lost about 15 pounds because of the inability to eat and I thought I never be able to enjoy food again. I also have Hashimoto's.

As I managed to decrease my clonazepam dosage the nausea subsided and now I can eat more. During withdrawal my food preferences are completely changed, almost like a became a completely different person. Now I eat salads, lots of fruits and vegetables, I actually enjoy them. Before I used to eat kind of "junk food" . I was desperate to gain weight after the nausea lessened and I let my body get whatever I was able to hold. For several weeks I was living on hot chocholate with whipped cream, almost exclusively that's all my body wanted. I used to have up to 8 cups of hot chocholate  throughout the day, was worried a bit but that was my transition to between not being able to hold down anything and the return to being able to eat. Before withdrawal a never liked hot chocholate, all the dietary changes and preferences are very surprising for me.

I have tried many of your remedies during my "nausea" period, none of them worked for me either. I think the over stimulated CNS produces the nausea symptoms and I believe when you are finally off of benzo your symptoms should improve within a few weeks.

@sherpa

Thank you so much for your thoughtful post!  Nausea really is a demon.  If not for the nausea, the taper wouldn’t be so horrific.  I can deal with hissing tinnitus, some paresthesia (skin burning, usually just my arms) and insomnia.  I think nausea creates anxiety too. Nausea restricts so much of my life including the ability to eat more and participate in every day activities.  I’m praying what you said is correct...nausea will subside once I’m off this poison.

I hope you’re doing well and are healing or are healed! 

SG

💜

Sept, I so relate to your commitment to try every solution for the nausea. I admire your determination. I don’t have much to offer tonight, except to say you are doing great and you will make it. Saying prayers for you.

@ChangeIsHere

Thank you for stopping by and offering your support and prayers. I can certainly use prayers as I head into the home stretch of this torturous journey.

I hope you’re doing well.

SG

💜

Although I've never had Klonopin or Clonazepam, I had terrible nausea for a good month when I increased my dose from 5mg to 7.5mg of Valium a day. That was a year ago. Now I'm down to 2.5mg Valium a day, and don't have any nausea whatsoever. To me, it's odd that you still suffer nausea even though you're off, but with these wretched pills, unfortunately anything is possible.

Dave.

Although I've never had Klonopin or Clonazepam, I had terrible nausea for a good month when I increased my dose from 5mg to 7.5mg of Valium a day. That was a year ago. Now I'm down to 2.5mg Valium a day, and don't have any nausea whatsoever. To me, it's odd that you still suffer nausea even though you're off, but with these wretched pills, unfortunately anything is possible.

Dave.

@Crowman88

I’m off alprazolam for 6 months  now but not off clonazepam yet.  I’m at .16mg/day.  I’m getting close but still can’t stop nausea. Hoping it will subside the lower I go in dose or once I’m completely off. Praying!!

I’ve had nausea since before my taper started...more than 18 months ago.  I’m certain it’s tolerance.  I don’t understand why it hasn’t stopped since my dose is so low right now.  I guess it’s just the nature of the beast for some people. 

Thanks for your message and continued success with your Valium taper.

SG