Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What causes benzo belly? Are there foods I should avoid to prevent it?

[Mi...]

Hi, In the morning my abdomen is much flatter. As the day progresses and I eat, it inflates and makes me look 4 months pregnant. It's uncomfortable to sit or wear jeans. I know this topic is covered on this forum, but I did not find what the exact cause is, nor what I can do, or not eat to lessen it. Actually I feel better all day long until I eat. And, I eat mostly whole foods because processed foods and preservatives fire up a painful withdrawal headache. I avoid all caffiene & chocolate too. Any advice helps. Thanks.

I read somewhere that there are more gaba receptors in the stomach than the brain. It makes sense that just like we feel head pressure, we can have pressure in our bellies. I know it's very common in bw. I hope it eases up soon for you.

[0f...]
In my case I was just eating more comfort foods and was less active (since I didn't feel good).  So there was the post-benzo diet to get back into form.  And there will apparently be a post-COVID diet for me from all of the current sitting around.