Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Gut health

[3a...]

[3a...]
I went and had a gut health test done, and it told me that I had candida overgrowth and bad bacteria. The naturopath gave me lots of supplements that can help fix this, like digestive enzymes and different gut detoxs. I dont know what to do, I'm taking it all but I feel like it had made me slightly worse. I want to heal my gut, but im wondering if I should do it now or wait until im farther a long and not as sensitive. I guess I'm holding out hope that if I fix this issue I will feel better, but I would have to feel worse for 3 months until I can stop taking the supplements. Anyone have any experience with this?

I needed to heal my gut too...I started this when I was in benzo tolerance and didn't know it. Some of the stuff the naturopath I had gave me would work great if I had not been in benzo tolerance - benzos can change so much of how we respond to treatment and everyone can be different in their responses - you probably know this:)

Anyway, use foods to heal. I cut out all preservatives, added sugars, dairy and gluten for awhile. ( I can now have small amts of gluten as long as it is organic and non-gmo). I took a good brand of probiotic too. normally it would be great to ingest fermented foods, but be careful as they have trace amts of alcohol due to the fermentation and may affect you benzo recovery. (I learned this the hard way by having a couple sips of kombucha!)

So about a month and a half after starting this diet, I rapid tapered off of benzos. My gut is now great. No gas, no running to the bathroom, stool looks normal and healthy. I have had the odd "cheat" and not died. Dairy can still affect me so I stay away from it. I can do small amts of added sugars. I still do not do chemicals/preservatives as they are toxic.

It's not easy but it becomes easier.

What supplements were you given and what brands?

• Like 1

[3a...]
They are bio botanical research Inc is the company. I have Biotonic, Biocidin, Olivier and G.I detox. Lots of herbs and its hard to pinpoint which one is effevting me. She also wanted me to do l'glutamine.

Definitely cut out sugars...candida and bad bacteria love it! It's what they feed off of. this will include starchy carbs (breads etc sorry). Once you are back on track you may be able to reintroduce a little at time.

Glutamine can be found in nuts and seafood, eggs and beans. Amino acids of various kinds have given ppl on BB problems in recovery . So  glutamine may not be good bc its converts to glutamate. In recovery we have too much glutamate in our system bc we have down-regulated gaba. This is the one that may be making you feel worse. test it and see.

The probiotic should be fine. I'll look into what other things you're taking.

What herbs? This is where I'd be careful. Unless your naturopath is benzo-wise a lot of the regular stuff they give can make things....worse.

Diet change at first may feel rough, but after awhile you'll notice that "unhealthy" food tastes bad to you! You will literally be able to taste the difference if you put any processed foods your mouth!

• Like 1

[3a...]
Thanks so much for getting back to me, I really appreciate it. I eat super clean, all organic, lots of veggies, only berries, low sugar already. I am dairy and gluten free. So I cant make a lot of changes to my diet. I did go off klonopin 1 year ago, and went off birth control about 3 months ago. I know both of those drugs wreak havoc on gut health.

Oh good! you're doing all the right things then...

I've read of other people who have had problems with candida bc of benzos.

Crazy what the meds do..horrible. I'm so sorry.

[3a...]
I guess I'm wondering if I should go ahead with the supplements and just grin and bear it, or wait until I'm more healed to take this on.

Maybe only do one at a time to see if you respond negatively or not? That way you'll know for sure which one is doing what.

at the same time try not to be anxious trying something bc you'll have increased anxiety due to your thoughts and not the meds:)

Sound good?

Good luck!