Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

In rehab, having a hard time.

[kr...]

I'm looking for online support. I've taken benzos on and off for many years. I've currently been off the pills completely for 53 days. I'm in a long term rehab and I'm having a hard time. I often feel completely lost and just want to go back on the pills again. I tapered down from 60 mg diazepam to 0 mg in just 40 days. Now I feel brain damaged on a daily basis. Maybe I tapered down too quickly, but that was all I had time for. And going back on them really isn't an option, so I need some help. Tired of suffering.

Hello kringlefant,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! Wow, you went from 60mg to zero in 40 days, truly that is almost a cold turkey since your dose was so high.  I'm sorry you had to take this route, normally a very slow taper is recommended. 

We can't make things easier, you are still very early off benzos and the symptoms are the strongest at this point. We can however, help you feel that you are not alone in this process. We do understand what you are going through, benzo withdrawal can be a very difficult challenge for many of us.

Things might continue to be rough for a while while your central nervous system adjusts to the major changes with such a fast taper.  With time things will ease up.  I hope that the rehab facility provides things for you to do to distract from how you feel.  That is really the best tool to help to deal with the myriad of withdrawal symptoms.

We have a dedicated board for those who have gone cold turkey or were detoxed off benzos. You'll be able to reach out to others in the same situation as yourself.  Many have had to take the same path you did.

I'll also give you a link to a very good paper that explains what is going on in your brain during withdrawal. It helps to know that these symptoms are 'normal' for withdrawl.

We'll be happy to support and encourage you as you recover. Settle in and ask questions, let us know how we can help.

Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid Withdrawal 

What's happening inside your brain

pianogirl  :)