Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

I can not tolerate to any food

[Ka...]

I can not tolerate to any food. feel withdrawals such as severe nausea and panic after eating. even small radish or sweetpotato. I don't know what to do. anybody has same experience?

Hi Kay,

I've seen people describe this often on BB.  It seems to help people to get some exercise, make sure to drink plenty of fluids (not caffeine or alcohol) and eat small amounts at a time of bland foods like crackers and applesauce.  Digestive issues including nausea and loss of appetite are common in withdrawal  and like other symptoms, as your nervous system heals you will feel better.  Hang in there!

Here's what The Ashton Manual says:

The symptoms may be partly due to overactivity in the autonomic nervous system, which controls the motility and secretions of the gut and is very reactive to stress, including the stress of benzodiazepine withdrawal. In addition, there are benzodiazepine receptors in the gut. It is not clear what the functions of these receptors are or how they are affected by benzodiazepines or benzodiazepine withdrawal, but alterations in these receptors may play some part in increasing gut irritability.

Considerable loss of weight (8-10lb or more) sometimes occurs in withdrawal. This may be due to a rebound effect on appetite, since benzodiazepines have been shown to increase appetite in animals. On the other hand, some people gain weight in withdrawal. In any case, weight changes are not severe enough to worry about and normal weight is soon regained after withdrawal. A few people have difficulty in swallowing food - the throat seems to tighten up especially if eating in company. This is usually a sign of anxiety and is well-known in anxiety states. Practising relaxation, eating alone, taking small well chewed mouthfuls with sips of liquid and not hurrying make things easier and the symptom settles as anxiety levels decline.

Take care,

Brighterday

Food sensitivity is very common. You will have to take out a lot of foods and slowly and carefully introduce them over time. Don’t worry, it’s commons. I get heart palpitations from grapes and I used to eat grapes all the time before this...