Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Was it COVID? Or withdrawal??

[Re...]

So in early February I flew cross-country for a work meeting. A colleague was there who showed up feeling very ill -- he was coughing and I later learned he had a temperature of 104 degrees!

Two days later, I started to come down with something that I thought was the flu. I had a low grade fever, headache and a cough. I also had EXTREME exhaustion and slept insane amount of hours. I was asleep more hours than I was awake. This exhaustion and crappy feeling lasted for about a month. Then I experienced a tightness in my chest and air hunger for 2 weeks. Other symptoms included heart palpitations and brain shivers.

I felt seriously crappy!!! I assumed that I was experiencing the flu in addition to a bad wave due to my SSRI taper, but this baffled me a bit because I had been tapering only a teeny tiny amount (symptoms were to be expected but this seemed especially bad!).

In retrospect, I'm really wondering if I actually had COVID??! Thoughts???  I was sick during the month of February and early March (before the # of confirmed cases really exploded) but I heard that the virus has been present in our country for a while and we just didn't know it until later.

Earlier this week, I unfortunately had to fly cross-country for an urgent surgery. I think I was more scared of the air travel and COVID than I was of being cut open! I'm recovering now, but have to figure out how to get home next week …. I debating whether I should rent a car and drive home (which would take me several days) or take the risk and fly (5 hour flight). If I already had COVID, maybe it's safe to fly??? Unfortunately I cannot know for sure whether or not I had it. Maybe driving home would be safer?

I hope your surgery recovery goes well. Besides surgery, in a similar boat. While I didn’t travel, I had business meetings with people stepping directly off planes twice in a week. Those people were from all across the US. 3 days after the first meeting, my legs started to flu ache, my throat was scratchy, I felt sick, alternated hot and cold, etc. The cough took about 2 weeks to clear up and my legs were achy on and off until last week.

I wasn’t sure if a mild sickness gave me the benzo flu or new symptoms or if I was just sick for that long - which besides mono, has never happened. After hearing how drastically different COVID-19 symptoms are, I do wonder if I had it.

If it’s going to take you multiple days to drive, you’re going to be in a hotel or somewhere anyway. Best to take the flight than be exposed multiple times to hotels, etc.

Yes, antibody test is the only way to know if you had it.

At this point, having already flown cross-country one way, and having had surgery in a hospital somewhere, I think you might as well fly home. My 2 cents.