Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Not knowing was the worst part: Formally on 3mg Xanax

[Bp...]

As the title says, not knowing was the worst part. Upon deciding to discontinue my use of Xanax I was overcome with anxiety. The more I searched and saw videos, I didn't think I could handle tapering or the aftermath of getting off my medication.

I went to my Dr. with a plan to taper (.25 mg reduction a week) and I was stupid enough to drag it out over the 3 months between "medication check visits" rather than just do it. The entire time I was scared shitless, thinking I was going to soon have crippling side effects. I almost didn't go through with it. When it was time, I just went for it. I'm not going to lie, I did have some withdrawals while tapering but they were mild enough that I could live life without anyone noticing.

I made a spreadsheet that recorded where I was at and what I needed to do for the next weeks reduction. It also calculated how much of a reduction it would be and how much I had cut to date. I also made a journal, jotting down symptoms for each week. Additionally, I used CBD oil from a company called Lazurus and I think it helped. I used CBD with each dose. I also stopped drinking coffee. Another thing that helped was staying out of situations that I felt may trigger the withdrawals I was experiencing that week (like noise crowds etc.). Self talk was helpful. I told myself that whatever I was feeling was temporary. The last thing was going down rabbit holes with DUMB shit to occupy my time. You can't stress out on life and feel crappy when you are spending hours obsessing/learning about dumb stuff like beard care, wrist watches, and pocket knives...

I must have gotten all the withdrawal symptoms out of the way during my taper because when I kicked the pills, I had little to no issues.

I realize that not everyone will have as "easy" of an adventure getting off of these things but sometimes, the fear of getting started is worse then the process.

Good luck everyone! This your own journey, live it for yourself and don't let other people's experience keep you scared and paranoid of what's to come.

Hey,

Just wanted to congratulate you on getting off benzos and feeling better. I am happy for you because getting off benzos is a celebration regardless of level of suffering. Enjoy your life! :thumbsup:

PG

Good for you for conquering your fear of tapering!!  I'm so happy that the process worked for you and that your recovery was short. Enjoy your benzo free life of wellness.

pianogirl

Congratulations Bproof!  What a great success story and what a powerful illustration of the difference a slow careful taper can make - Thanks so much for being so candid and for sharing your story!  :)

Wow, this is amazing! Tapering correctly from the get-go can make a huge difference.

:highfive:

Thanks Challis!  Can you please tell, all of us, what a “correct” taper is?  Many of us would like more information.  More detail would be ever so helpful! 

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, this is so inspiring. I spend so much time being afraid and I'm going much slower than you did. My side effects are worse though so I'm not sure I can go faster but at least I'm at the halfway point!

I must have gotten all the withdrawal symptoms out of the way during my taper because when I kicked the pills, I had little to no issues.

It must have been your 113 year taper plan, lol (check your signature).  Just adding a bit of levity :)

So happy you experienced full recovery!

Cheers,

RR