Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone with benzo flu? Describe the symptoms.

[Ac...]

With corona on the rise, I’m wondering how many people have benzo flu. What are the symptoms you have and how long does it last?

I’ve been feeling flu-ish on and off throughout withdrawal usually never more than a day. It usually shows up in the form of leg aches for me and never materializes to be more than just feeling like I ran a marathon. My legs just feel over worked and achy. Never a temperature or overall tiredness.

Anyone else have benzo flu? How long does it last for you?

This was actually one of my longest lasting symptoms. It was a general sick feeling, lots of aches and pains as well as burning sensations. This didn't ease up for me until about one year off. It eased up very slowly.  It was frustrating because there was nothing I could do about it. I tried Biofreeze for the aches but it didn't help too much. Hot and cold compresses, whichever felt best. Sometimes I simply had to rest.  The good thing was that it did disappear, completely.

pianogirl  :smitten:

This was actually one of my longest lasting symptoms. It was a general sick feeling, lots of aches and pains as well as burning sensations. This didn't ease up for me until about one year off. It eased up very slowly.  It was frustrating because there was nothing I could do about it. I tried Biofreeze for the aches but it didn't help too much. Hot and cold compresses, whichever felt best. Sometimes I simply had to rest.  The good thing was that it did disappear, completely.

Thanks pianogirl.

Do you think it’s normal to experience benzoflu almost 2 and 1/2 years out?

My situation maybe is less common. I took ashwaghanda root by accident before I knew I had withdrawal (thought I had an adrenaline issue). Then I tapered slowly off of it for a year, because if I tried to stop I was afraid I would suffered acute symptoms. It’ll be a year off ashwaghanda in June. Wondering if maybe it’s a reason for leg aches and chills. I had them 2 weeks, then they let up. Then yesterday after a 30 degree drop in temperature, they came back again. I’m so frustrated and afraid I gave a serious illness.

I just had routine bloodwork done and nothing showed up. I’ve voiced concern to my doctor on my leg aches and body aches, but he’s not worried and refuses to send me for any additional images or testing, citing my normal labs and routine physical.

Thanks pianogirl.

My situation maybe is less common. I took ashwaghanda root by accident before I knew I had withdrawal (thought I had an adrenaline issue). Then I tapered slowly off of it for a year, because if I tried to stop I was afraid I would suffered acute symptoms. It’ll be a year off ashwaghanda in June. Wondering if maybe it’s a reason for leg aches and chills. I had them 2 weeks, then they let up. Then yesterday after a 30 degree drop in temperature, they came back again. I’m so frustrated and afraid I gave a serious illness.

I just had routine bloodwork done and nothing showed up. I’ve voiced concern to my doctor on my leg aches and body aches, but he’s not worried and refuses to send me for any additional images or testing, citing my normal labs and routine physical.

Everyone will be different in their recovery but it's not uncommon to have symptoms at 2 1/2 years off.  I can't speak about ashwanghanda because I've never looked into it. Let me ask someone who might know and I'll try to get an answer to you.

Remember, the cns is very fragile so any disruption or change can take a while to recover from.

Thanks pianogirl.

Everyone will be different in their recovery but it's not uncommon to have symptoms at 2 1/2 years off.  I can't speak about ashwanghanda because I've never looked into it. Let me ask someone who might know and I'll try to get an answer to you.

Remember, the cns is very fragile so any disruption or change can take a while to recover from.

Thanks! It seems like the past 3 months almost all my mental symptoms have eroded. I thought I’d be so thankful for that day. But I feel like since it’s happened I’ve felt more fatigued and pain. Like I am just getting late physical symptoms.

Hi! sorry to hear how you feel. I'm still in acute so I am familiar with the feelings..ugh.

anyway..Ashwaghanda is tricky bc it doesn't always do what its supposed to do (and obviously with benzo wd nothing works as its supposed to), but even in "regular" ppl it can have a paradoxical affect and feel like a stimulant (rev you up..).I read a scholarly article on this.

I had a bad response to it - but I was in tolerance WD at that time and didn't know it. Just thought I'd mention what I've learned.

Sorry I can't help you more for your particular situation. 

Best wishes:)

Hi! sorry to hear how you feel. I'm still in acute so I am familiar with the feelings..ugh.

anyway..Ashwaghanda is tricky bc it doesn't always do what its supposed to do (and obviously with benzo wd nothing works as its supposed to), but even in "regular" ppl it can have a paradoxical affect and feel like a stimulant (rev you up..).I read a scholarly article on this.

I had a bad response to it - but I was in tolerance WD at that time and didn't know it. Just thought I'd mention what I've learned.

Sorry I can't help you more for your particular situation. 

Best wishes:)

Thank you for your input and experience. It’s always helpful.

And you’re right ashwaghanda is dangerous.

Honestly, I had no idea I was in withdrawal and just was getting jerks at night and felt adrenaline fear in the morning. So I went to my doc and asked for a cortisol test because mornings seemed awful. I started on ashwaghanda to help that feeling. Then I realized a month later what I was experiencing was withdrawal not a cortisol issue. By that point, I had read if I tried to stop ashwaghanda since it interferes with GABA, I could go back to the beginning of acute. so I bought a liquid solution of ashwaghanda and tapered very slowly for over a year and a half.

June will mark one year off ashwaghanda as my bridge. But 30 months off klonopin.

I also just realized that I was eating Greek yogurt prior to the benzo flu for about a week, usually I don’t touch it because it revs me up mentally. Wondering if it messed with the pro biotic make up in my stomach during recovery.

Thanks again!

yes I get the benzo flu and it’s a very exhausting feeling. I ache terribly and actually get the chills but take my temperature and it’s always low like 96- 97 degrees. It tends to come in waves for days. I can’t stand it. But then it goes away for a day or 2 so I try not to get depressed and accept it’s one of my withdrawal symptoms. And it always resolves in the evening for a couple hours.

yes I get the benzo flu and it’s a very exhausting feeling. I ache terribly and actually get the chills but take my temperature and it’s always low like 96- 97 degrees. It tends to come in waves for days. I can’t stand it. But then it goes away for a day or 2 so I try not to get depressed and accept it’s one of my withdrawal symptoms. And it always resolves in the evening for a couple hours.

Does it start in the morning for you? Or spontaneously come on mid day? My last bout was almost exclusively every night. An hour or two before bed my legs would just ache, so much so it might keep me up for an hour or two.

when I first crossed over to Valium to taper it would come on in the evening and my legs would ache terribly too! Then it disappeared only to reappear at the end of the taper which made me just want to jump! Unfortunately, it got worse after I jumped and it’s one of my most annoying symptoms! Tylenol helps tremendously but I honestly don’t like taking anything and I use the Tylenol only when it’s absolutely necessary. I read about it constantly on the forum so other people’s experience helps to reassure me that it’s just a symptom of withdrawal. Hope my experience helps you.

when I first crossed over to Valium to taper it would come on in the evening and my legs would ache terribly too! Then it disappeared only to reappear at the end of the taper which made me just want to jump! Unfortunately, it got worse after I jumped and it’s one of my most annoying symptoms! Tylenol helps tremendously but I honestly don’t like taking anything and I use the Tylenol only when it’s absolutely necessary. I read about it constantly on the forum so other people’s experience helps to reassure me that it’s just a symptom of withdrawal. Hope my experience helps you.

It does. I’ve gotten aches in my legs for a day here and there throughout my 2 1/2 years of w/d. But I found it so strange that all the sudden it was coming on for 2-3 nights straight, maybe a half day during the day after 2 days no symptoms. The back again at night after a week thinking it’s over.

Some nights it’s been so bad it keeps me up for a while. Bottoms of my feet just burn badly too.

Such a strange journey we’re all on.

Thanks for your response.

I get achy all over, chills (no fever) and brutal fatigue. Fatigue so bad I can barely walk to the bathroom. I told my husband I feel like all the blood has been drained from my body. Ugh, it's the worst 😩.

I've had flu-like symptoms all day! Dizziness, fatigue, weakness, drowsiness. Very easy to get sick! The immune system is destroyed.