Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

how to taper .5 Klonopin

[gs...]

Hey buddies can you please give me some advice on how to taper .5 Klonopin. I tried to cold turkey for a week and that was a fucken stupid idea.

Can you tell us a bit more about your situation, perhaps you could put your medication history in your signature, this would enable us to see at a glance what drug you're on and for how long.  Here are the instructions. Add your history/signature 

Yes, cold turkey is not good, I did it because I didn't know these drugs had to be tapered and it hurt as you found out.  How often do you dose each day?  How many years have you been on the Klonopin and what size pills do you have?

Many people taper directly from Klonopin since it's a long acting drug.  Do you take Klonopin or Clonazepam the generic version?

I hate to see you taper for longer than you've been taking the drug so you might consider cutting your .5 mg pill into quarters and taking three quarters each day for a week or two, would you feel comfortable doing that?  It's actually a bigger cut than we like to see but since you've only been on it for a short time with intermittent use, I feel it would be prudent to give it a shot. 

If of course you feel too awful, we'll need to go for smaller cuts.  Let me know what you think.

i split it up .25 in the morning then .25 at night.

can you tell me how long i should taper since i only took them for a month

I'd split each of your doses one more time and throw out one quarter of whichever dose you feel you can afford to lose.  If you feel you need it for sleep, then I'd take the .25 mg at night and the .125 in the morning, does that make sense?

Thanks for clarifying your cold turkey situation, I quit that way too and know how awful it is.  As for how long to hold the reduced dose, your body will give you signals.  Read about it on the various threads but basically, you'll feel worse then you'll begin to feel a bit better then you'll know its time to reduce again.  You'll need to listen to your body, seriously, it's all about that.

Thanks for replying, I've been waiting on your response before I logged off.  Please let us know how it goes, tapers need to be flexible, it's all about listening, so pay attention and let us know how it goes.  :)

If you feel okay then it must be time to make another reduction.  As for your time table of 40 days, lets play it by ear, let your body determine the pace, okay?

Can you explain your micro taper to me, I don't actually have taper experience so I'd be interested in hearing how you're doing it.