Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Cold turkey from 0.5 mg of clonazepam prescribed for 5 years

[d8...]

[d8...]
I am 13 months from my jump cold turkey off of 0.5 mg of clonazepam. i was prescribed it after suffering from severe panic and anxiety attacks after my mother passed from metastatic breast cancer in 2014 (she was 46). so i took 0.5 mg a day for almost 5 years until one day all my panic and anxiety attacks came back (worse than before bc i can gained such a tolerance). I got angry and walked out of the doctors office bc of their lack of knowledge about a drug he had been giving me for years and went through a horrific cold turkey. I wanted my life back. now i feel like im having problems with infections and severe gastritis. (pain in belly button) I am also scared that my immune system is weak and i will get COVID-19. I have paddled my way very far across the ocean of withdrawl. I am looking for answers in this dark time.

Hello FrozenTurkey, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm sorry to hear you've had to suffer for so long, I quit cold turkey too and know how painful it is.  Not everything that happens to us in regard to our health is benzo related, but a lot sure is.  Have you had a checkup to see if anything else is going on with you?

From what I've read, benzo withdrawal doesn't specifically weaken our immune system, but stress does play a role, so do what you can to keep your stress low.  It might be helpful if you started a thread on the Post-withdrawal Recovery Support  board, I'm sure you'll find others who know what you're going through.

I'm sorry to hear about the death of your mother, I hope we can be of some help to you.

Pamster

Cold turkey .5 mgs clonazepam had to be brutal!  You must be a strong person.  You’ve been off 13 months already.  That’s great.  It’s not clear if these are benzo withdrawal symptoms?  I agree with Pamster that getting symptoms checked out, ruling out any other possibilities, is wise.  Do lots to boost your immune system and relieve that fear.  You won’t get covid because of benzo withdrawal, nor have weak immunity for that reason.  Address stress.  Practice calm inducing strategies.  Meditation apps, diet, immunity boost supplements are reassuring and actually help.  I think the worst is behind you now. 

[d8...]
Thanks for the info. I have paddled my way across the ocean of withdrawl by myself waiting for the land of healing. It makes me feel alot better knowing my immune system isnt weakened. i have a home urinalysis test coming so hopefully that will bring answers.  :thumbsup:

[d8...]
I havent been to a doctor since right before i cold turkeyed. i did go to the emergency room one time thinking i was having a blood clot or heart attack. i felt a rush of pain go to my chest and fainted. they said nothing was wrong with me gave me a $500 shot that helps with blood clotting and charged me $1000 i was only there for 15 minutes.

Benzo withdrawal symptoms have sent thousands of people to get millions of dollars worth of unnecessary tests and unnecessary medications because so little is recognized and validated in the medical community about what we go through.  It's entirely possible there is an organic reason for your pain, but it's also possible it's benzo withdrawal, it's all so frustrating. 

I'm sorry you had to spend so much money for that treatment.

[d8...]
i watched sixslows videos and his experiences with spending alot of money on doctors visits helped me not fall into it. I would just google stuff about benzos and watch yt videos of people that were alot further along than me. It motivated me to just push through it.  :smitten: