Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Gabapentin or Mirtazapine pls help

[St...]

Due to the long-term use of antibiotics, I feel very bad and sleep very badly. Tell me, can I take some of this to sleep? and what side effects can be? Or it’s not worth taking any of this. I'm at a dead end. Thanks!

When I had a bad reaction to an antibiotic my sleep was very bad. I didn’t take anything, just rode it out, and in time it improved. I’ve been taking some stuff recently for a cold which interferes with my sleep, but taking anything extra has only made everything worse. I know it feels like torture but my opinion is that it’s best to not take anything additional and let natural sleep return naturally. Hope things improve for you soon.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know how gabapentin works on sleep but what I do know is that it was horrific to come off of. It's another of those drugs that mimics GABA and they prescribe it for everything. Be careful, it can be just as bad to stop as benzos. I'm not recommending any medication. I take trazadone for sleep but I'll have to taper when I come off of it like any other psychoative drug.

My neurologist and I have talked about this and he told me gabapentin can be horrific to come off of, it was for me and I had to be hospitalized to get off of it. I couldn't do it on my own and I was only on 200mg a day. After I was able to stop it, and it was horrific, I was hospitalized for 4 months because the depression became so horribly bad. This was a year ago this month. Also the side effects can be horrible in itself. I got terrible akathesia.

You may not be one of the ones who has a hard time, many don't. It's an anticonvulsant, I don't know why it would be prescribed for sleep.

Also, many people have used it for getting off of benzo's and then they found it was just as bad as a benzo to withdraw from. Do your research on gabapentin, please