Hard Stop on Flurazepam - Reinstatement, then substitution taper help

[pe...]

I was prescribed Flurazepam(Dalmene) 30mg nightly for 15 plus years for insomnia.  I was never counseled on the risks or dangers associated with this drug and on August 27, 2019 went cold turkey due to the drug being on an indefinite back order.  I then went into a horrific acute WD, not knowing what was going on I thought my thyroid or hormones were seriously out of wack.  Blood draws were taken, all was good, was told I was depressed, given Zoloft only to continue to experience horrible acute WD symptoms.  After a month of hell, and me continuing to ask if the as associated with Flurazepam I was finally told yes it is WD.  It has been an absolute nightmare trying to find a doctor that understands, validates and knows how to support.  I have not been able to work for a month - basically I am not even a 1/4 of myself.  Good news it that I was able to find a provider to help.  What she is suggesting is:

Reinstate with valium on a very low dose to get the symptoms to subside then taper down from there to eventually be off the medication.  She is working off the Ashton manual but my fear is the reinstate piece as the manual does caution on this.  Has anyone had experience with this?  I am not functioning at all at this point and am in need of relief to heal.  She has written for liquid valium and did say my case is pretty straightforward in that I am not on any other medications or have any other medical issues.  Thank you in advance for your help!

Both drugs are very similar. That’s a shame you had to stop it abruptly. The Zoloft as you found, does not help with a cold turkey. I had to reinstate after a terrible detox. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Or you can try to muddle through as best as you can. I believe they are nearly the same strength but please double check that.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Did the substitute taper work for you? I am in the same boat--forced off flurazepam due to its backorder/inavailability. I am also reading the Ashton Manual for help to get off this medication. 

Yes the substitute worked for me very well. The Valium saved me really. I suspect I would not have been able to finish a direct taper. This is me....

Peca11- How are you doing on the Valium transfer? I am in the same boat--forced off flurazepam due to its backorder/inavailability. I am also reading the Ashton Manual for help to get off this medication.