Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

does anyone know about thyroid issues?

[pe...]

My thyroid tests are coming back all over the place....my docs aren't worrid but they blow everything off and think I am just worried for nothing....I'm posting this on an outside chance that someone here may be a nurse or know more...I'm getting info that it needs to be treated and when I check the internet I can't tell as the numbers differ...it is hard to know what is withdrawal related as benzos effect that and what could be a real problem and my docs won't do anything out of a normal range but that varies from lab to lab...okay here is the history:

In June of this year my thyroid TSH was 2.3

In October as withdrawal has progressed it was 2.41

In January of this year when I am still in bad shape it is 1.9

*I have always ran in the 2 . something range prior to benzos...*

The fluctuations and the 1.9 bothers me. (more to follow)

Also I had a free T-4 level checked in June and it was 2.5

it was checked again in October and was a 1.1

in December is was checked and is a .72

*This is alot of fluctuation and I am worried the benzos and the cold turkey and all the stress of this withdrawal is really hurting me*  The .72 number bothers me... (more to follow)

Also beginning in June I had several 24 hour urine cortisol levels done.  they have been double their limits the 3 times they have been checked since June.

In December I had a serum cortisol check done instead in the am and pm...the am came back in normal range but the PM came back critically low

They also did an acth test and it came back elevated....again the endo says it is all anxiety and all of this will resolve...

well...i don't know about all of this...this could go on for me for quite awhile my body has been stressed for a long time and it isn't going to end soon...

do these numbers seem familiar to anyone?  I can't get the docs to do anything as they say they are within a normal range but there has been alot of fluctuations.

Thanks

someone that knows about this stuff may be by.

otherwise you could google tyroid using medmd or something like that then look for thyroid levels.

It depnds on which lab was used because different labs have different ranges for normal when it comes to the TSH, FT4 and FT3. My lab has the TSH normal range as 0.3 -- 3.5.  Right now I'm at 8.66 for my TSH so I'm still a little hypothyroid. My FT3 and FT4 are just in range this month.

It's not unusual for the thyroid levels to fluctuate some depending on stress, what you've had to eat, time of day, where you are in your menstrual cycle, etc. If you're still within your lab's range, I wouldn't worry about it.

rufus

Pebbles, let me look into those numbers. The old lab book I have is from nursing school and totally outdated, and they use odd values. I'll pull some of my own lab results out, or find it on the internet. Did you ask your doc what the numbers meant?

I'll get back to you. :smitten:

Just found this online.

Test

Abbreviation  Typical Ranges 

Serum thyroxine (T4)  4.6-12 ug/dl

Serum thyrotropin  (TSH)  0.5-6 uU/ml 

If I read your post right, your TSH is normal at 1.9, but your T4 is low at .75. It's a little odd, cuz usually if one is low, the other is high. For instance, if TSH is high, and T4 is low, this is a sign of hypothyroidism. But a TSH of 1.9 is just fine, even though your T4 is pretty low. What did your doc say about this? Are you on thyroid medication? This could be why you are feeling so terrible. Please talk to your doc about this. 

do these numbers seem familiar to anyone?  I can't get the docs to do anything as they say they are within a normal range but there has been alot of fluctuations.

Thanks

I just reread your post Pebbles, and realized you said free T4, not T4.

here is the normal value of Free t4

Free Thyroxine  (FT4) 0.7-1.9 ng/dl 

So you are normal, my friend. Sorry about the misread.

• 4 weeks later...
I have heard that taking benzos can affect our thyroid levels. Google klonopin (or whatever benzo) and thyroid to see if you can find any links.