Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Can Vodka/Water Ratio be Higher?

[Pa...]

Hi Everyone!

I’m getting ready to start a taper that I’ve been putting off for a few years. As I live overseas, I can always find a great excuse somewhere!  :) But, I’m excited, optimistic, healthy, and ready this time.

Here in Ethiopia, I have more limited access to basic medical equipment. So, I’m working on a modified plan. As of now, I only have access to 10mg syringes. So, in looking at the ratio of K to vodka to water, I want to know if I can fairly substantially increase the amount of water. I would be very grateful for your input on this! Plan:

1. Create the solution. At first, I want to do this daily, just to feel comfortable with it. That will mean 1mg of K in 2ml of vodka for the dissolution.

2. Instead of adding the 2ml of vodka to 8ml of water, I want to add it IDEALLY to 298ml of water. I have 300ml measured out precisely on the jar and will withdraw 2 ml with the 10 ml syringe.

3. Then, I will add the 2 ml of vodka/K solution to get back to 300ml of liquid.

4. Then, I will withdraw 3ml on the first day, 6 ml on the second day, 9ml on the third day. This will lead to .01mg or 1% cuts per day.

I’m confident about the math. My concern is that I keep seeing the 1ml:9ml vodka to water ratio. I understand how important the 2ml to 1mg of K ratio is. But, can I add the vodka/K solution to MUCH more water and still get the desired effects? Thanks for any sage advice! I’m kind of stuck with a big syringe and need to make due. 

1)  As a matter of basic chemistry, you need 2mls of vodka (80 proof or greater) for each 1mg of K.

2)  You can then dilute that with any amount of water.

Final concentrations of .1mg per ml, or .01mg per ml are the most convenient because they really require no math (just move the decimal), but any dilation ratio will work.

1)  As a matter of basic chemistry, you need 2mls of vodka (80 proof or greater) for each 1mg of K.

2)  You can then dilute that with any amount of water.

Final concentrations of .1mg per ml, or .01mg per ml are the most convenient because they really require no math (just move the decimal), but any dilation ratio will work.

Perfect, thank you SO much for such a quick response, Builder. I’m grateful for your time and knowledge. A few more questions now for you or anyone else:

1. Is there anything wrong with diluting with more vodka—for example, 5ml for 1mg of K? Just curious, as that amount may work better for the vessel I have.

2. What do I do to mix the dose? Sorry if this is a basic question. Do I just dump the vodka/K mixture into the jar of water, shake, and extract the desired amount with the syringe? Is there a special way to shake? I’m worried that I won’t mix the K solution and water correctly, especially with so much water. Any rudimentary advice is appreciated.

3. Is there any secret to breaking into two doses? Or do I just transfer half the water/K/vodka mixture to another jar?

Thank you everyone!

2. What do I do to mix the dose? Sorry if this is a basic question. Do I just dump the vodka/K mixture into the jar of water, shake, and extract the desired amount with the syringe? Is there a special way to shake? I’m worried that I won’t mix the K solution and water correctly, especially with so much water. Any rudimentary advice is appreciated.

Yup, that's pretty much it.  This is NOT some chem-lab procedure, it's more like adding cream and sugar to your morning coffee!  And your tablets have always varied 10% or more dose-to-dose, so even if your measures aren't perfect, it won't matter.  A DLMT is about doing a gradual taper, NOT an accurate or precise taper.

3. Is there any secret to breaking into two doses? Or do I just transfer half the water/K/vodka mixture to another jar?

You can just draw up 2 separate doses, or (my suggestion) draw up the full day's dose, put it in a measuring cup, top up to 1 full cup, and drink 1/2 cup for each dose.

Thank you everyone!