Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Advise on Diazepam titration

[Tr...]

Hello BB people,  I would like your expert advise on (Diazepam) titration.  Tonight is the start: could I do the 3.6 mg Diazepam in one go in a solution (using Vodka) or should I start with,  let's say, a week of a combination of 3 mg in pills and the 0,6 mg as a solution, in order to get used to the change from pills to solution?  Does It take time for body and mind to adjust to this new situation?  What was your experience?  Any tips are welcome.

1)  You can do any combo of tablets and liquid you choose.  It's what I did.  But there really is no logical, medical, pharmaceutical etc, reason to "ease into" liquid.  Its the same med, your dissolving the same tablets.  I learned about liquid tapering on the old BDR board, where 100% of the people were doing various liquid tapers, and no one ever mentioned any problem switching to liquid.  It seem to only be an issue here on BB.

2)  The easiest, and most logical way to do a liquid taper is the prepare multi-day batches (I recommend 10-14 days) and simply take your dose from that supply, just like you would any liquid med from the pharmacy.

I'll be glad to help you set up a plan for whatever you want to do, except, I will NOT help anyone with a silly, wasteful, labor-intensive "pull and discard" plan.

Again, Builder, thanks for your response! Like most benzo victims, I' m scared stiff of any possible extra stress in an already awful time in my life. You make it all very clear and so, one less thing to worry about.  Needed that push to set my mind at rest. Getting started tonight.

Had a really bad night: colon hurting from 3 am. Headache and nausea. No sleep after 3 am. Could this be a reaction to the titration this fast? Or  a worsening of a wave I felt coming for some days now? Should I hold for a while or continue with the liquid taper? Any suggestions?

How is it possible to feel even the smallest cut the next day, with such a long halflife of Diazepam?  Do others have that too?

How is it possible to feel even the smallest cut the next day, with such a long halflife of Diazepam? 

It isn't!

You could skip the whole day's dose, and you would NOT feel it the "next day"  (although you certainly would eventually!!)

Why do I then feel so awful after even the smallest cut?  Even during holding I felt awful most of the time. Last night I started the liquid taper. Today is a terrible day! Is it all just in my head or do the cruel lack of sleep, constant fatigue, increasing dizziness and constant pain take it's toll more and more? 

I restarted dry cutting 5 days ago. Then this must be the reaction to the first new cut. If even the smallest cut (0,001 mg on a total of 0,307 mg) has such a big impact on my body, then the complete taper will take forever and will be almost unbearable.

Perhaps the liquid taper is a bit milder. Or else I think I will have to hold for ages. Or change to another benzo, perhaps. Feeling desperate.

Why do I then feel so awful after even the smallest cut?

I don't know, but I absolutely guarantee you that is it is NOT because of liquid, and it is NOT due to the "smallest cut" !

You could have skipped the whole day's dose, but you wouldn't feel it yet.  (I sometimes forget to take my whole dose, but as long as I remembered by the next day, it never made any difference.)