Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Math Question

[Qu...]

Brain fried. I keep putting this into the various calculators but get different numbers.

Can someone help me calculate the total number of days it would take to reduce 2mg of klonopin going by the suggested rate of .5% every 14 days? (Assuming I have all that above correct).

*or is 3% considered the norm? Totally new to titrating. Sorry!

I believe it would take about 10 months if you stayed at 5% every 2 weeks, but you have to realize that as you reduce your dose, your % rate should be adjusted accordingly. 5% is a great rate to start with because you higher in dose. The lower you get you need to slow it down even more and make smaller reductions.

Right now you are trying to stabilize, so focus on getting to feel better and give your brain a break before even attempting to taper. You have a better ride down.

When the time comes you can a taper formulated for you where the math and how to proceed is basically done for you.

Thanks Dana, I am just still in worry mode and it makes me feel calmer to be able to have some idea of what is ahead. But your advice is very good and I will try my best to follow up :)

Brain fried. I keep putting this into the various calculators but get different numbers.

Can someone help me calculate the total number of days it would take to reduce 2mg of klonopin going by the suggested rate of .5% every 14 days? (Assuming I have all that above correct).

Mathematically, if you taper by a percentage, you actually never get to zero.  If you want to estimate how long your taper will take, calculate with the absolute (milligram) instead of the percentage rate.

But 1) it takes as long as it takes, and 2) it's a near certainty that your plan will change several times during your taper.

I believe it would take about 10 months if you stayed at 5% every 2 weeks, but you have to realize that as you reduce your dose, your % rate should be adjusted accordingly. 5% is a great rate to start with because you higher in dose. The lower you get you need to slow it down even more and make smaller reductions.

Right now you are trying to stabilize, so focus on getting to feel better and give your brain a break before even attempting to taper. You have a better ride down.

When the time comes you can a taper formulated for you where the math and how to proceed is basically done for you.

I am so glad that Builder came along and explained it correctly. See, I probably got you all confused and myself. Sorry Quiet.

Mathematically, if you taper by a percentage, you actually never get to zero.  If you want to estimate how long your taper will take, calculate with the absolute (milligram) instead of the percentage rate.

But 1) it takes as long as it takes, and 2) it's a near certainty that your plan will change several times during your taper.

Thanks Builder for making sense of this. I was confused at first, but I think I get it now. The percentage rate is a guide so you don't get ahead of yourself. I don't plan to taper over 5% over 14 days using the DLMT. So far I have come down by .05mg in 10 days which seems manageable. I will continue to reassess as I go along. You are a great help and it is very much appreciated. I sure don't need to be confusing anyone and misguide them. My goal for myself is to get off safely and slowly. I don't care how long it takes.  :)

Thanks to you both for clarifications. I was just unnerved by how wildly inaccurate the online calculator was. But then I realized that you need to refresh the window each time you use it, not just put in new numbers on the same screen. Also, I'm leaving it alone for now :) And just come here when the time is right.

I too am not as worried about length of taper as I am of quality of life. My last experience taught me that.

I so appreciate your help Dana, and I appreciate you making sure you have everything correct. Who do we have to trust but each other in this fight?

Thank you builder, everyone with half a brain knows how much you do for people around here.