Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

swop or not to RX liquid diazepam

[ch...]

Hi everyone,

I have titrated down from 2mgs to 1mg with a DMLT using full fat milk.

I have had a chest infection with antibiotic,(Amoxycillin) then a skin infection, which has all taken it's toll, and been advised by the Doctor to hold at 1mg for a short time. 

She gave me a bottle of Rx liquid diazepam, ratio , 1mg=2.5mls liquid. For use tapering from 1mg.

I am worrying a little as my body is used to the milk mixture now, though the hold I am just using 1mg of a 2mg tablet.

It would be easier to use the RX liquid and perhaps more accurate but that is only a guess.

Would you think it perhaps better to stick to the milk as before or use the RX liquid.

It worries me about making a mistake as I have not had an easy journey off and have read that some people find they cannot tolerate the liquid, Also if I used it would I have to hold on it,  I really do want to get on and finish this taper after the short hold I am making now, when I am also getting a break from making up the milk mix, 

Any views on liquid Valium are much appreciated ,

Thank you in advance

Jen

1)  IMO, Rx liquid benzos are the gold standard for tapering, but...

2)  if its working, don't fix it!

Any solvent (milk, alcohol, propylene glycol) that makes a uniformly distributed solution will work, but if your having success with what your doing, why change?

1)  IMO, Rx liquid benzos are the gold standard for tapering, but...

2)  if its working, don't fix it!

Any solvent (milk, alcohol, propylene glycol) that makes a uniformly distributed solution will work, but if your having success with what your doing, why change?

Thank you so much for your reply.

They are my very same thoughts. However for the last 1mg I want to be sure of accuracy and as you say, the RX liquid is the gold standard.

I may continue with the milk for now, however I  do hope being prescribed a bottle of liquid diazepam does not prohibit me from my prescription of tablets, as then I really will be in difficulties, unfortunately I haven't any extra tablets to cover this event as I have only ever filled my script, when running out.

Oh well I will see in a few days when I restart my taper, after taking a short break due to health problems. I am hoping that this will give my body a time to recoup, and some relief from the stress of daily tapering.

Reading your signature, you too, took a break at 1mg for travel, and you had a very successful taper, so I am not overly worried to take this time out, then continue down as before, and hopefully be free before Christmas, but putting no set date to this journey. 

Thank you once again builder,

Thank you so much for your reply.

They are my very same thoughts. However for the last 1mg I want to be sure of accuracy and as you say, the RX liquid is the gold standard.

I may continue with the milk for now, however I  do hope being prescribed a bottle of liquid diazepam does not prohibit me from my prescription of tablets, as then I really will be in difficulties, unfortunately I haven't any extra tablets to cover this event as I have only ever filled my script, when running out.

Oh well I will see in a few days when I restart my taper, after taking a short break due to health problems. I am hoping that this will give my body a time to recoup, and some relief from the stress of daily tapering.

Reading your signature, you too, took a break at 1mg for travel, and you had a very successful taper, so I am not overly worried to take this time out, then continue down as before, and hopefully be free before Christmas, but putting no set date to this journey. 

Thank you once again builder,

I say this over and over again...a microtaper is NOT about making accurate, or precise reductions, its about making gradual reductions.  That's what makes it work.

You'll be fine, whichever way you go!  ;)