Important Survey - Please Participate ×
Dr. David Healy - Raising Awareness of Inappropriate or Harmful Deprescribing Practices ×

Valium dosing

[Ma...]

Can anyone explain to me why Aston believes when you get to 10 mgs or below, you should go to one dose a day, if the effective time is 4 to 6 hours, why would going to one dose help?  That confuses me.

Thanks, Mary.........

Hey friend,

I have no clue, but I am at 1.05 mg today and will continue my 3x a day dosing until it has to go to 2, and then work down to 0.  That is the plan my hospital set out for me.  I think do whatever you think is best for your body. I find sometimes my symptoms get worse as it gets close to dosing time.  Not every day, but some days it's like my body knows med time should be soon.  Maybe others can chime in..❤

Hey friend,

I have no clue, but I am at 1.05 mg today and will continue my 3x a day dosing until it has to go to 2, and then work down to 1.  That is the plan my hospital set out for me.  I think do whatever you think is best for your body. I find sometimes my symptoms get worse as it gets close to dosing time.  Not every day, but some days it's like my body knows med time should be soon.  Maybe others can chime in..❤

You are getting close BLL  :). How are you feeling?  Are you going to zero or jumping before?

Hey Mary,

I am going right to the end!  After going to the E.R. and feeling the way I felt, I am not taking the chance to jump early!  I was so bad physically and mentally I pray I NEVER feel that way again.  I was not me at all!!! I used one of those benzo conversion calculators and got 2 different answers when I put in the 2.5 mg Chlordiapoxide to see the equivalent dosage in Valium, to figure out what I jumped at.  I got 2 different answers, which were .8 and the other site gave me .75 mg Valium.  And so at those numbers, I crashed...HARD!!! So I am so scared of jumping at the .50 mg recommended.  I have to make sure I get off successfully and so I am not willing to even try!  I am super sensitive to all medication, always have been!  So I have a bit to go if I can keep up at this %.  I am going to be as cautious as I can!!!  I'm looking at December if all goes well! ❤🤞🏻

Can anyone explain to me why Aston believes when you get to 10 mgs or below, you should go to one dose a day, if the effective time is 4 to 6 hours, why would going to one dose help?  That confuses me.

Thanks, Mary.........

"if the effective time is 4 to 6 hours, why would going to one dose help?"

I don't understand what you mean there.  The half life of Valium is much longer than that.

In my own experience, I stayed on on two doses a day until I got down to around 8.5 mg a day or the 7.5 mg total a day (I don't remember the exact dose).  At that point I experienced some type of ramped up symptoms and switched over to taking over to taking the whole dose once a day and felt better.  This was just my experience.  From reading the profiles and stories, some people stay on twice a day until they get to much lower doses.

Thanks, Mary.........

"if the effective time is 4 to 6 hours, why would going to one dose help?"

I don't understand what you mean there.  The half life of Valium is much longer than that.

In my own experience, I stayed on on two doses a day until I got down to around 8.5 mg a day or the 7.5 mg total a day (I don't remember the exact dose).  At that point I experienced some type of ramped up symptoms and switched over to taking over to taking the whole dose once a day and felt better.  This was just my experience.  From reading the profiles and stories, some people stay on twice a day until they get to much lower doses.

I was talking effective time, not half life, but your discussion of the mgs you were at when you went to one dose may have helped me  :D. Thanks

Ashton suggests to take it all before bed "when sleep is the biggest issue. And some in the morning if you need it, but not so much, that it prevents you from getting out of the house". I'm  at 3,6 mg Diazepam,  which I take just before bedtime. When I was at higher numbers, I took most of it before bedtime and about a third with breakfast. Tapered that part off first. Didn't like feeling sleepy all morning. The strange thing is, I tend to get better during the day and best in the evenings. Then another shot of poison and next morning I' m at my worst again. Muscle stiffness and pain around noon, after which it gets better.

Hi Mary, I started at 10,75 mg Diazepam December of last year. A bit of a funny amount, I know, the reason for that being I had been given some extra pills ( Tranxène 10 mg) when tapering off Amitriptyline. I had just about tapered off the Diazepam by that time, but had to start all over again because of the Tranxène. So,  switching to all Diazepam got me at 10,75 mg Diazepam. At first I took 2,75 in the morning and 8 at night. After tapering off the morning dose, I just kept the Diazepam at night. Now, after holding for 3 weeks, I ' ve restarted my taper on Thursday night. This time DLMT. Hope to succeed,  but boy is it difficult sometimes.

Hi Mary, I started at 10,75 mg Diazepam December of last year. A bit of a funny amount, I know, the reason for that being I had been given some extra pills ( Tranxène 10 mg) when tapering off Amitriptyline. I had just about tapered off the Diazepam by that time, but had to start all over again because of the Tranxène. So,  switching to all Diazepam got me at 10,75 mg Diazepam. At first I took 2,75 in the morning and 8 at night. After tapering off the morning dose, I just kept the Diazepam at night. Now, after holding for 3 weeks, I ' ve restarted my taper on Thursday night. This time DLMT. Hope to succeed,  but boy is it difficult sometimes.

Lol. It is so difficult.  I crossed from xanax to Diazapam, I had managed to work the X down to 1.25 mgs before crossover to D, which my body really struggled with, I switched to dlmt too, much better, just don't go to fast, start low, you can always raise it if you do well, pay attention to those sxs and I can honestly say , I caught my sxs ramping fast this last time, which really is a blessing, nothing worse than having to hold to stabilize again.  I may not be queen of going too fast but I'm close  :D

I am down to 9.09 and read that part of Ashton saying below 10 , you should only do one dose.  I honestly mostly  :) believe that, but now I have to get my nerve up to bring my 2 doses together, slowly and give it a try.  Wishing us both luck. Thanks for responding, Mary 💜

If you are comfortable with taking your dose twice a day and it is working for you, I don't think there is a problem staying with it even as you continue to taper down at least for another few mgs.  Everyone is different.  I am not sure at what point you may want to go to once a day.

In reading over this board I don't know that there is any hard and fast rule as practiced by people today.  I have seen lots of people online who continue taking 2 doses a day well below the 10 mg of valium a day mark.  I think some have done it below the 4 or 5 mg a day mark.

Ashton wrote in her book based on her experiences and provided some relatively simple plans as samples.  She was a pioneer, and I have no idea where we would be without her.  However, over the years people have developed more gradual and less painful methods of tapering, and then shared them with their peers as was done so here and elsewhere.  I don't mean to diminish her contributions in any way.

As I wrote, I stayed on on two doses a day until I got down to around 8.5 mg a day or the 7.5 mg total a day (I don't remember the exact dose).  At that point I experienced some type of ramped up symptoms and switched over to taking over to taking the whole dose once a day and felt better.  This was just my experience.

I do know that when I was having more symptoms and before I got comfortable with the liquid valium taper I was worrying about every little detail a lot more.  I also tend to do that when I am more symptomatic.

Hi confuseduser,

" I do know that when I was having more symptoms and before I got comfortable with the liquid valium taper I was worrying about every little detail a lot more.  I also tend to do that when I am more symptomatic."

I think that goes for all of us!  That troubled mind of ours never stops...

Hi confuseduser,

" I do know that when I was having more symptoms and before I got comfortable with the liquid valium taper I was worrying about every little detail a lot more.  I also tend to do that when I am more symptomatic."

I think that goes for all of us!  That troubled mind of ours never stops...

Definitely happens to me.  I am having a few more symptoms lately at 9.08, so of course I was researching everything  :). I appreciate your replies so much ;).  Mary 💜