Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

I dont mean to be the devils advocate but..

[Mi...]

has anyone here NOT had a HELLISH time getting off of a benzo??

I think it makes sense that those who did it succcessfully, without any problems most likely will NOT be posting on this site.

it would make sense that if people did not have much of a problem - they would not need much support :D

we are here to help those who are having problems - and of course we do welcome success stories - they act as a guide and hope for those having a hard time.

so i am not sure what is our point ???

I'm pretty sure there have been lots of people to get off benzos without problems just because they are so widely prescribed.  Those that haven't had problems would have no reason to even search out this site.  However, I know of no evidence to support this conclusion.

I"ve gotta say, I've been fairly lucky. The Hell happened to me before my taper. (Actually, even before the klono, lol!) Once I started tapering, at worst I would say I had moments of extreme discomfort, emotionally and phsyically. But mostly just unpleasantness., and even, only sometimes, not the whole time.

But I hadn't been on long, only 3 or 4 months when I started my taper. So 7 months total, including my taper time. so I think that helps some.

The point I was trying to make was..

Im PLANNING to do this tamper thing successfully and am NOT anticipating any hell.  ;)I spose Im a believer in 'positive thinking' and I truly want to THINK that this will be an easy process , that I can handle.

I am also a believer in a 'higher power' and I have faith that I can do this.

well sure if you have no problens with quitting there wouldnt be any reason to seek info, but every drug Ive ever taken ahs a list of possible side effects so someone has felt the side effects even if everyone hasnt, the important point is you get better after time.

Bobers

you don't need us to tell you that you are doing ok - i think i know where you are coming from - not everyone has an awful time - don't think that everything you read will happen to you.

OK -  ;)

[a1...]
Your experience in tapering/quitting will all depend on what benzo you've been taking, how much per day, and how long you've been taking it.  Otherwise, it is a good thing to not anticipate any problems.  8)

MichelleM

I think I got your point, considering I had also to put in my mind, before I started the taper, that I had to do that, and sooner would be better.

When I started thinking about my benzo problem (I can say, in that moment, I didn´t know I actually had a problem due to my medication), I searched internet looking for informations about. When I found Ashtom Manual, that seemed to me be very logical, I really got scaried. I could not accept I was an addicted person to a chemical drug! I searched several times to try to find some worlds that could relieve me. Unfortunately, I didn´t find, not something as serious as the Ashtom Manual or the posts in this site. I had to assume that I was addicted, my problems would increase as longer as I continued using benzo and I had to take a decision.

I´m sure you can find other forums or reports from people that justify and promote the use of these drugs. In the past I would be one to deffend it because I wasn´t aware of the problems they would cause to me in the future. And, in that case, I wouldn't even care about sites or forums about benzos... But I think it will be difficult to find any post about one that is trying to quit the drug and is not getting any trouble, because it´s not the way the taper process works.

eljay

What you do mean by "lol", when you write..."Actually, even before the klono, lol!"

Regards. And going to cut another 1mg tonight!  :)

Sérgio

Yes Im aware that Im most likely 'addicted'. (Ive been taking 1 mg of Ativan/Lorazapam since January 2006) BUT....many people in our society are addicted to one substance or another from coffee to sugar to alcohol to...shopping to gambling to sex...etc. etc.

Im not minimizing my addiction but at this point I want to put it in perspective too. Today is my 4th day of .5 mgs from 1 mg---and Im feeling ok. Im planning to do this very slowly (stay at this level for atleast 2 weeks, then go down to .5 every other day). This the way my doctor and all the pharmacists Ive consulted  with have suggested..so Ill try it this way.

Im also looking into finding an alternative to the benzo..BUT Ive also been doing a lot of spiritual work, reading and changing my attitude in many ways which has also helped me be a more highly functional person. SO I might not need any drug! That of course is my ultimate goal.

I´d say you´re right doing the way you are doing, with the support of your doctor, always listening to your body symptoms and looking for alternatives (not chemicals) to substitute the drug. For me, physical exercise is one of the best.

A direct taper from Ativan is more difficult, due to the low half time of this benzo. But if you are going weel, keep in this way. Anyway, try not to up your dosage if a more uncomfortable symptom appears, wait for your body to stabilize.

About addictions, unfortunately I realized that these drugs may be the worst kind, considering how difficult is to get off of it.

Sérgio

Micehlle,

There are plenty of people who can quit benzos with no problem.  Had I not gone into a detox facility, I probably would have been one of them.  A positive attitude and a slow sensible taper will keep any withdrawal side effects to a minimum.  Don't go looking for trouble if it isn't there.

XXXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

eljay

What you do mean by "lol", when you write..."Actually, even before the klono, lol!"

Regards. And going to cut another 1mg tonight!  :)

Sérgio

Hello Sergio!

LOL means "Laughing out loud" It's just a computer abbreviation that means something is funny. I had a really rough year last year before I was put on klonopin, including a trip to a psychiatric hospital due to severe insomnia. I'm laughing because I can look back on it now and see the absurdity of it all. You gotta laugh at life's little bumps.  :)

Congratulations on your cut! :thumbsup:

I nvr knew what the withdrawal was going to be like, wasn't till i was 4 months off, when i started studying it, due to my w/d symptoms i was experiencing

The point I was trying to make was..

Im PLANNING to do this tamper thing successfully and am NOT anticipating any hell.  ;)I spose Im a believer in 'positive thinking' and I truly want to THINK that this will be an easy process , that I can handle.

I am also a believer in a 'higher power' and I have faith that I can do this.

I've come to this rather late, and I've not read the whole taper, but . . .

If you have not already expereinced difficulties with an attempted withdrawal, then there is no reason for you to expect difficulties. Loads of people taper off, perhaps even after a taper far faster than we would suggest as sensible, and experience few problems - we just don't hear from them. Experiences of benzodiazepine withdrawal are hugely variable, but the chances are that you will be fine. I suggest a cautious approach though - you can always speed up your taper if you find you suffer few problems. People often suffer unnecessarily by attempting a too optimistic taper at the beginning, and some appear to never find a comfortable level after this. So, please do start off slowly; you may speed up later if it seems appropriate. Again, the chances are you will taper off with few problems unless experience tells you differently.

I'm 100% behind your positive attitude - there is every reason to be optimistic, especially if a little caution is used at the outset. ;)

Thank You Colin!

I so appreciate your support. Im sure 'successful' people who didnt have any problems would NOT seek out a support group like this one so ...I suppose Ive answered my own question! DUH!

This is my 5th day on .5 mgs of Lorazam from 1 mg. I'd been on 1 mg for about 2 years now, taking it every morning.

I did have a bit more anxiety and a bit of 'buzzing' in my head yesterday, an overall shakiness and a bit more agitation------but I also have severe menstrual symptoms plus Im giving up coffee  at the same time. (I used to drink almost 5 cups of full strength caffeinated coffee per day--now Im down to zero to ONE cup). I know caffeine withdrawal can also be a severe thing. SOOO its hard to say exactly what to attribute my symptoms to. Oh..Im also pre menopausal which causes other symptoms too! lol

At this point Im going to be PATIENT with this and continue with my .5 mgs until I feel more comfortable.

Luckily I have almost a full day off from my art gallery . I dont go in until next Friday so I can  be in a very stress free environment here in the house! I can pamper myself, take baths, hang out with my cats and do my artwork.

Im confident I will get this drug OUT of me!  :D

Thanks for your support everyone.

;) you are so welcome - everyone is different - you seem to be doing ok - i am real happy for you - you know you need to pamper yourself and you are - you know it is good to take it easy and your are able :yippee:

I just looked in the archives and apparently i've been on here 2.5 years - oh my god...

Anyway, it's interesting because at no point would I describe my taper as hellish. I go very slow.  I got down from 2.5 to 1.5 in 6 mos or so...I went from 2.0 to 0.75 once too.  The symptoms were pretty minimal.  The last 1 mg may be worse... but it's not a race, so I think I can do it.  I failed many  times -- but not cuz of w/d symptoms...cuz i just couldn't deal with whatever life situation was going on at the time w/o klonopin.  "Why feel things when you don't have to?"  was my subconscious motto... I have very little tolerance for any frustration in life so klonopin is my drug of choice and readily prescribed by numerous psychiatrists.

Anyway, I'm trying to be off by the end of this year.  I know it seems ridiculous for 1.5 mgs but i have been on them nearly 10 years.  I also take neurontin which works on the gaba system and there may be some synergy which I have to deal with as well.

Would it sound weird, or not right, if I was to say, I'm glad I didn't study what w/d symptoms I was gonna go too, until after it started. As if I would have read it, it would of scared me to not wanna stop. But because I didn't study it, and didn't know what it was going to be like, I was able to just stop it, without much worry.

Well its good not to worry, but usually a person feels all these wierd things going on, then researchs to find out whats happening. The symptoms poduce the research :)

Bobers

Well its good not to worry, but usually a person feels all these wierd things going on, then researchs to find out whats happening. The symptoms poduce the research :)

Bobers

Thats how it was with me, it was when I started to feel the real withdrawal symptoms (4 months into the last time I took a pill) and had no idea what it was from, is when I started to reseach it.