Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Valium Taper, need bluemoth, silver, BenzosNoMore, eljay and others for advice.

[ni...]

As you kow I started  valium taper Dec 25th, after I spent 13 days prior to that crossing over from ativan slowly.

Below is my schedule, it is easy to read.  My question is this, since I have only been on benzos for 4 months now, can I speed things up, without too many complicatios. I'm really anxious to drop a couple of Mgs a week, instead of 1 mg. I'm still too tired on this valium.

Feel free to look at my schedule, and tell me how YOU would approach it.

Thanks in Advance for all your time and input.

17mg     2 weeks before Christmas. 

stage 1          Dec 25th      dropped to   16mgs a day, will stay at 16 mgs until Jan 12th

Stage2      Jan 5     16mg      1 week 

Stage 3    jan 12     15mg      1 week

stage 4    jan 19     14mg       1 week     

stage 5     jan 26    13 mg     1 week

stage 6    Feb 2      12mg      1 week

stage 7     Feb 9     11 mg    1 week

stage 8    feb 16     10mg     1 week

stage 9     Mar 1      9mg       2 weeks

stage 10   Mar 15   8mg       2 weeks 

stage 11   Mar 29  7 mg       2 weeks

stage 12   Apr 12   6mg       2 weeks

may go three weeks starting here at 5 mgs a day, for a safer taper. But two weeks is normal. Will see how I feel

stage 13       Apr 26                        5mg        2- 3 weeks

stage 14       May 10 or 17             4mg,       2-3 weeks

stage 15      May 31 or June 7         3 mgs     2-3 weeks

stage 16      June 21 or June 28     2mg          2-3 weeks

approx. 23-27  weeks to reach this mark    or    6 months total to this point.

stage 17  1 mg    July 19     total 1  mg for the day, hold this last one for one month. And maybe an 1/2 mg for another month.  7-8 months to this point.

done and free.  total 6-8 months, depending on how long I hold each taper

Memory and normal cognition returned.

I want something like a 3-4 month taper. Is it possible?

Would any of you cahange it in any way?

honey i am not qualified to give advice on a taper - because you were on four months i would be inclined to say try 2 mg a cut but wait longer to cut - valium stays in your system a long time so if you have trouble you need to give your self a long time to see that trouble.

please wait till someone qualified comes by - maybe you are an exception and can handle some very excellent coffee to pump yourself up thru those sleepy times.

be patient someone will be by that knows what they are doing. ;)

My question is this, since I have only been on benzos for 4 months now, can I speed things up, without too many complicatios. I'm really anxious to drop a couple of Mgs a week, instead of 1 mg. I'm still too tired on this valium.

Hi Richard,

I was only on for 4 months before I started my taper. But I'm on klono not valium. I've dropped by 1/8mg every two weeks. If my math is correct, that's equivelant to 2.5mg valium. (Img klono is equivelant to 20mg valium) I was told this might be a little much, but so far it's been managable.  10% of 16mg is 1.6mg. 2mg would be about a 12% cut. I think it's reasonable that you can try this. if it's too difficult, you can return to the 1mg cuts.

Please, anyone, if my math is wrong on this, please correct me! My thought processes are pretty messy right now, probably from the seroquel cut. :sick:

Of course as you get lower, the percent cuts will get larger if you continue cutting 2mg. So as you get lower, you can decrease your cuts if needed.

NightWatchman,

I think what you have proposed is a perfectly ok taper.  Since you have only been on benzos for 4 months you should have no problem stepping off at 1 mg per week.  You can try an initial cut of 2 mg and see how it goes.  Some people are very able to handle an accelerated taper.  If it doesn't work for you, you can always back off a bit and go back to cutting 1 mg or even 1/2 mg. Remember that you are in controll of your taper, it doesn't have to be written in stone. Cut what you can tolerate at the quickest pace you can.  I don't think you are going to have any problem.  Good Luck getting started, you are going to do great!!!

XXXXX

Christine/BlueMoth

i love that cut and paste - i didn't see it before.

also richard i should not be giving any taper advice - i am not qualified. so listen to the moderators.

• 2 months later...

Hi everybody

First, I want to say, I hope all of you are doing well.

I havn't posted for a while.

So I'll update you on my taper.

As you know I started tapering from about 1.7 mgs of ativan, which I was on for about 4 months.

I crossed over to Valium, and am now down to 7 mgs of valium. I will hold each cut from 7 all the way to 1 mg two weeks apart.

Everything is going well, I have some bouts of mild depression, and take some St Johns wort, to help pick me back up.

Otherwise, everything is going smooth, since I crossed over to the longer half half life Valium.

I'll Keep you posted, as I get down down to the last couple of mgs or so.

Good day to all.

Regards Richard

Hi Richard!

Good to hear from you again and glad to know you are doing well.

Also great to hear of a successful valium crossover, lol!

We've had one or two people argue against it recently, which is bogus, in most of our opinions here.

Take care, Linda 

Hi Richard!

Good to hear from you again and glad to know you are doing well.

Also great to hear of a successful valium crossover, lol!

We've had one or two people argue against it recently, which is bogus, in most of our opinions here.

Take care, Linda 

Linda

It was a little tough at first, because the valium had such a sedative effect on me, that I couldn't hardly stay awake at all, or  walk straight.

It took about three weeks for my body to get used to the sedative effect, and begin to wear off. I was really tough, staying awake at work, I also experienced short term memory loss, which effected me a little. But that's over now, and I no longer have this problem, and havn't missed a day of work.

The valium crossover, is the ONLY way to go.

I haven't experienced any of the interdose withdrawals I used to have, when on the ativan.

Take care

Richard

Hi Richard,

Thanks for updating us.

Yes, the long half-life is major reason for switching to Valium. The substitution process can be a little tough for some, but I'm glad to hear that it has out so well for you (as it does with most people).

Yes, please do keep in touch.