Newbie tapering off 3mg Eszopiclone

[hg...]

I've been taking 3mg Eszopiclone for about 5 months for insomnia.

Two months ago, I cold turkey for 20 days because at that time I knew nothing  about benzo withdrawal. And that 20 days is pure agony.

Now I resume the former 3mg eszopiclone per day.

Since eszopiclone is quite short half-life, I wonder if I should crossed to valium. I now have inter-dose withdrawal symptoms though it's bearable.

Hello hgwyl,

Welcome to Benzo Buddies! Yes, stopping medications like Eszopiclone suddenly, cold turkey, can bring on some very strong withdrawal symptoms.  I know this from experience. You were right in the window of opportunity to reinstate and then start a slow and sensible taper.  Eszopiclone is considered a Z drug but it's mechanics are the same as a benzo. You'll have the opportunity to do a lot of reading and then find the plan that works best for you.

A slow taper can help to minimize withdrawal symptoms. Generally, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is suggested. I'll give you a link to the General Taper Plans for additional information.

I'll also give you a link to the Ashton Manual. It is an excellent resource about these types of drugs and how to withdraw. The manual was written by Dr. Heather Ashton, an expert in the field.

I'm glad you've joined the forum. You'll get a lot of support and encouragement as you taper of Ezoplicone and recover.  We understand the process and will offer help and information. Please do ask questions, we're here to help.

General Taper Plans   

The Ashton Manual

pianogirl  :)