Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Obtaining Long Term Care Insurance

[sq...]

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this but here goes.  I'm of an age where getting a long term care (LTC) policy is a wise move.  Unfortunately (says my financial planner) the industry wide approach is to not insure someone who has been treated for alcoholism, narcotic addiction and BENZO DEPENDENCE until they've been chemically free for FIVE YEARS!!  I asked where is the science to support this seemingly arbitrary number and he had no idea. That those of us who became dependent on benzos (but not addicted) are lumped into to the same category as those with chemical addiction highlights the ongoing challenges in life both during and after weaning off benzos. I've contacted my treating psychiatrist and am embarking on a literature search of my own but am wondering if any BenzoBuddies have been down this road and are aware of any insurance companies who aren't so Draconian in their approach? This is frustrating and angering all at the same time.  Thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.  I'm almost 29 months off of benzos, on the tail end of weaning off neurontin and still can't believe the ongoing fight to educate not only medical personnel but now the insurance industry about benzos.  >:(

This needs to be moved to the Chewing the Fat thread probably.  You might get more responses there.

I'm sorry you're in this situation.  Another godawful gift from this goddamn nightmare experience. Benzos: the gift that just keeps on giving.

Happened to me too after being off for a couple of years. No company would even consider covering me with all the prescribed medications I'd taken. Our financial guy has us contributing all that we could have given to LTC insurance to a fund to build up and help self-fund future care. LTC insurance can seem pretty random. They rejected my healthy, no meds, weight-lifting, active husband because he'd had some well-managed back issues in the past.

• 5 years later...
[el...]

Did you get the insurance you were looking for? If you're still searching, checking out Ushealth Group reviews could be really helpful. It's important to find an insurance provider that meets your needs and offers reliable coverage. Reviews from other customers can give you valuable insights into the quality of service, coverage options, and customer satisfaction. Taking the time to research and compare different insurance companies can ensure you make an informed decision that's right for you and your family's healthcare needs.

Edited by [el...]