Important Survey - Please Participate ×

Looking for Buddies - LT High dose Xanax direct taper 1/2 way there!

[Lo...]

Julia,

I’m  so sorry you aren’t feeling the best! Just amazing how sometimes the smallest changes in our medication doses can have a huge impact! I hope switching back helps you out! I battle sinus pressure off and on and I think it’s from the Xanax withdrawal, but have allergies too so can never tell which it is. I’m battling terrible allergies right now and am debating using Flonase or not? I take no other medications except my estrogen and then Xanax. I get nervous adding something, but am quite miserable with my allergies!

Has anyone on here used Flonase before? I may have to break down and try it.

I hope everyone is hanging in there and I’m wishing you all a blessed day. I have a busier day ahead of me again today. Sometimes that’s a good thing and takes my mind off this dumb taper.

Love and hugs to you all,

Mary

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [to...]

• [Di...]

• [Lo...]

• [se...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have flonase, have used it for years, and I have no problems with it. It does not cross the blood/brain barrier (so I've been told,) but even if it does, there is so little steroid in there it doesn't affect me. It's worth trying.

I can't handle antihistamine tablets, however, they amp me up and benadryl freaks me out.

We are all a bit different, and the only way to know is to try.

Julia,

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling this week.  I have also had some weird ear stuff going on.  I have ringing and a strange swishing/fluttering sound off and on. Headache today as well.  I woke last night with my pinky fingers numb and tingling.

Like Marybeth has said previously, just think of it as our bodies healing, awakening of sorts.  Given your current symptoms maybe next week will be a little better.  If you are not 100 percent by Sunday I would consider holding a bit.  That always seems to work for me.

Mary, so glad you got some good sleep! That is huge and helps so much on this journey!  Savory every minute you can get.

Take care everyone!

Julia,

I’m  so sorry you aren’t feeling the best! Just amazing how sometimes the smallest changes in our medication doses can have a huge impact! I hope switching back helps you out! I battle sinus pressure off and on and I think it’s from the Xanax withdrawal, but have allergies too so can never tell which it is. I’m battling terrible allergies right now and am debating using Flonase or not? I take no other medications except my estrogen and then Xanax. I get nervous adding something, but am quite miserable with my allergies!

Has anyone on here used Flonase before? I may have to break down and try it.

I hope everyone is hanging in there and I’m wishing you all a blessed day. I have a busier day ahead of me again today. Sometimes that’s a good thing and takes my mind off this dumb taper.

Love and hugs to you all,

Mary

Thanks Mary.  I hope you feel better.  I can not use Flonase but I am told it is a good medication for your sinuses.  If you try it, I hope it gives you some relief. 

I am hanging in there and may be a tiny bit better but we will see as the day goes on.  I did not get up until 10:25 so I have not really been up long enough to know.  lol  I did sleep good last night.  That was great!

Hope all are doing ok.

Love and hugs,

Julia  :smitten:

Julia,

I am so sorry to hear you are struggling this week.  I have also had some weird ear stuff going on.  I have ringing and a strange swishing/fluttering sound off and on. Headache today as well.  I woke last night with my pinky fingers numb and tingling.

Like Marybeth has said previously, just think of it as our bodies healing, awakening of sorts.  Given your current symptoms maybe next week will be a little better.  If you are not 100 percent by Sunday I would consider holding a bit.  That always seems to work for me.

Mary, so glad you got some good sleep! That is huge and helps so much on this journey!  Savory every minute you can get.

Take care everyone!

Hi Laurie,

Thank you!  I appreciate it.    I have ringing and a strange swishing/fluttering sound off and on. Headache today as well.  I woke last night with my pinky fingers numb and tingling.

Sorry to hear that.  The ear stuff gets on my nerves.  Last night I was trying to gently pop my ears  and could not.  I do not want to bust my eardrum so I did not try too hard.  It is so strange all the things we go through.  I hope you will be better today.

I agree, and that is what I have said as well, when we have symptoms, it is our brain readjusting.  At least it is trying to get beck to normal.

I agree, if I am not 100% by Sunday, I am going to wait a little longer. I do not need extra issues. 

Have a good day.

Love, Julia  :smitten:

I have flonase, have used it for years, and I have no problems with it. It does not cross the blood/brain barrier (so I've been told,) but even if it does, there is so little steroid in there it doesn't affect me. It's worth trying.

I can't handle antihistamine tablets, however, they amp me up and benadryl freaks me out.

Thank you so much for the advice and help!! I went and got some and it’s a sensitive formula with no alcohol or fragrance in it. I used it already and am hoping for relief soon! Thanks for always helping!  :smitten:

Julia,

Take care everyone!

Thank you Seasalt!  :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Does anyone else have episodes of shortness of breath?  I've been dealing with it all throughout my taper and it still scares me. 

Sometimes it happens on exertion and other times out of the blue.  But the odd thing is that if I'm really relaxed, it doesn't happen when it "should" as in exercise, or walking briskly around the house.  If I'm completely relaxed or preoccupied, I seem to be much better.  The feeling reminds me of when I used to have random panic attacks.... that feeling like you just can't get enough air into your lungs.  Then it passes pretty quickly once I sit down and relax.

I also realize that throughout the taper I'm so hypersensitive to any and all bodily changes that I'm hypervigilant to any changes.  My son will laugh and say, "But mom, everyone gets slightly winded when running up the stairs".  But to me, it's such a drastic change from sitting around so much throughout the taper that the minute my pulse quickens or I'm slightly winded, I flat out subconsciously panic.. which makes it 10 times worse! 

And of course any shortness of breath is enough to make me panic.. especially at 53 and being so incredibly out of shape due to this taper!  UGH!

Just curious if anyone else experiences anything like this.

MB

Marybeth I've never had that symptom but it sure sounds like panic to me.  I can work myself up into a panic about absolutely anything!  Drives me nuts!  Hope it goes away for you soon!

Hugs ❤

Julia I am so sorry you still aren't feeling very well maybe going back to your original schedule will do the trick.

Mary hope you feeling better after getting the Flonase...that is good stuff.

Seasalt sorry about your headache and numb fingers.  How is your toe?  My index finger that was swollen and sore seems better...probably a benzo thing,  I have a headache pretty much every afternoon...another benzo gift!

Hugs everyone ❤

Does anyone else have episodes of shortness of breath?  I've been dealing with it all throughout my taper and it still scares me. 

Sometimes it happens on exertion and other times out of the blue.  But the odd thing is that if I'm really relaxed, it doesn't happen when it "should" as in exercise, or walking briskly around the house.  If I'm completely relaxed or preoccupied, I seem to be much better.  The feeling reminds me of when I used to have random panic attacks.... that feeling like you just can't get enough air into your lungs.  Then it passes pretty quickly once I sit down and relax.

I also realize that throughout the taper I'm so hypersensitive to any and all bodily changes that I'm hypervigilant to any changes.  My son will laugh and say, "But mom, everyone gets slightly winded when running up the stairs".  But to me, it's such a drastic change from sitting around so much throughout the taper that the minute my pulse quickens or I'm slightly winded, I flat out subconsciously panic.. which makes it 10 times worse! 

And of course any shortness of breath is enough to make me panic.. especially at 53 and being so incredibly out of shape due to this taper!  UGH!

Just curious if anyone else experiences anything like this.

MB

Hey Marybeth,

Sorry you are having that issue.  I know it has to be scary.  I have not had that but the 2 things I do have on and off do scare me - 1 is that my chest hurts - it is like a tightness and sometimes is painful and it feels like I have pulled a muscle.  When it scares me is when it happens and my left arm hurts at the same time.  I usually contribute it to opening and closing the sliding glass door all the time but sometimes it really does get my attention and scares me.  The 2nd thing is when I start getting overly hot for no reason - I do not have to be doing anything and then I feel dizzy and nausea. 

The last few days I have had the chest pain the middle of my chest and it is usually across of my chest.  Seems some of my issues are still there but are changing. 

I hope yours goes away!  Breathing issues and chest pain issues can bring on panic and anxiety!

Take care.

Love,

Julia I am so sorry you still aren't feeling very well maybe going back to your original schedule will do the trick.

Seasalt sorry about your headache and numb fingers.  How is your toe?  My index finger that was swollen and sore seems better...probably a benzo thing,  I have a headache pretty much every afternoon...another benzo gift!

Hugs everyone ❤

Hi Debbie,

Thank you.  I am a little better so I think changing my doses back to the way I had them is helping.  I am going to have to start taking away from that first dose at some point and now I see it is going to be hard.  It could also be because the pills are different so the next cut I do I am going to make the cut from the first dose using the peach pills and see what happens.  I am going to have to deal with it at some point. 

Hope you had a better day and that the sun is shining there!!! 

Love and hugs,

Thank you so much for the advice and help!! I went and got some and it’s a sensitive formula with no alcohol or fragrance in it. I used it already and am hoping for relief soon! Thanks for always helping!  :smitten:

Hey Mary,

Did you get any relief from the Flonase?  I hope so.  It sucks to have so many issues and have to be so cautious on what we can and can not take.  One day it will be a lot different!!!

Take care my friend!

Love,

Julia  :smitten: :smitten:

Marybeth,

This is off topic but did your doctor prescribe thyroid medication?  If so have you started taking it?  Any side effects?  My Hashimoto’s flares are getting worse, I am on the dense about starting new medications.

Hey Mary,

Did you get any relief from the Flonase?  I hope so.  It sucks to have so many issues and have to be so cautious on what we can and can not take.  One day it will be a lot different!!!

Take care my friend!

Love,

Julia  :smitten: :smitten:

Hi Julia!!

Yes I did get a little relief from it, and I didn’t have any trouble with it either so that was a big bonus as well! I’ll continue taking it daily. It’s high in both tree and grass pollen here in Iowa and both I’m allergic to. Also the dust from the dry walling while remodeling the house isn’t helping things either! I found a sensitive formula of brand name Flonase that contained no fragrances or alcohol or some other stuff so I got that one. Seemed to give me some relief today. I’ll keep using it. It came down to a choice of suffering terribly with the allergies or taking the Flonase. I had to try and was super glad I did! I tell ya if you sneeze like crazy in a target you swear the Covid lynch mob is coming for you by the looks you get! Lol 😂🤣 I was able to stay active and busy today and am looking forward to my bed tonight. I’m feeling really tired tonight and that could be the allergies too. Hope you are feeling ok since switching your doses back. I’ve been reducing the last couple days and as of tomorrow I’ll have 31.5% left. Seems so far but yet I’m happy to have looked back at my journal and see where I started and to see that progress of where I am today.

MaryBeth, I do get short of breath like that too sometimes. I hate it and it’s not a panic attack or anxiety for me it’s just so weird how it happens. Going up stairs, carrying in groceries, and I’m out of shape but not that bad as my basement steps should make me so short of breath. I also get the chest pains like Julia. I’ve actually had an electrocardiogram done because I was convinced I had a heart problem. Nope, it was perfect. Just the benzo playing another one of its lies on me! That symptom can’t go away soon enough!

Dianedeedee, thank you for the thoughts.....Flonase did help and I will continue using it!

Hope you all are hanging in there! Love and hugs from the land of soybeans and corn! Lol

Love,

Mary  :smitten:

Hugs everyone ❤

Hi Debbie,

Thank you.  I am a little better so I think changing my doses back to the way I had them is helping.  I am going to have to start taking away from that first dose at some point and now I see it is going to be hard.  It could also be because the pills are different so the next cut I do I am going to make the cut from the first dose using the peach pills and see what happens.  I am going to have to deal with it at some point. 

Hope you had a better day and that the sun is shining there!!! 

Love and hugs,

Julia I am so glad you are feeling a little better.  I know your chest hurting is very stressful.  Since I do the liquid I'm able to take small amounts away from each dose I take turns on which dose I decrease each day. 

Thank you yes the sun was shining which helps but I am having a lot of stomach burning I bought a probiotic today I hope I can take it and it will help.

Sure wish there was something that would help all of us.

Take care love and hugs ❤

Mary, I have family in Iowa...y'all have beautiful farmland there!

Love and hugs,

Debbie

Debbie you do?! Such a small world! We do have beautiful farmland here and a beautiful sunrise or sunset over the fields can be so beautiful! One of my husband and I’s nightly hobbies if driving in our old truck on the gravel roads through the countryside and look at all the crops, animals, and views. It’s so fun to us and we have grown to do it almost nightly. It started with Covid last year but we enjoyed it so much we just keep doing it. It helps keep my mind off my taper and medication for a little while. I love sightseeing different landscapes and areas. I find the beauty of nature fascinating!

Love and hugs back at ya!!

Mary :smitten:

Mary, I have family in Iowa...y'all have beautiful farmland there!

Love and hugs,

Debbie

Debbie you do?! Such a small world! We do have beautiful farmland here and a beautiful sunrise or sunset over the fields can be so beautiful! One of my husband and I’s nightly hobbies if driving in our old truck on the gravel roads through the countryside and look at all the crops, animals, and views. It’s so fun to us and we have grown to do it almost nightly. It started with Covid last year but we enjoyed it so much we just keep doing it. It helps keep my mind off my taper and medication for a little while. I love sightseeing different landscapes and areas. I find the beauty of nature fascinating!

Love and hugs back at ya!!

Mary :smitten:

Mary that sounds so calming ❤

Marybeth,

This is off topic but did your doctor prescribe thyroid medication?  If so have you started taking it?  Any side effects?  My Hashimoto’s flares are getting worse, I am on the dense about starting new medications.

Much to my disappointment, he didn't prescribe it.  I was really surprised since I had been told that he is known for "treating the symptoms not just the labs".  Apparently not in my case even with a very strong family history!  UGH!  Only my TPO antibodies are elevated so he said that I have a mild case of Hashimoto's and no medication is warranted just yet.  I've tried the diet for the past month and it hasn't done a thing.  Weight wont budge, hair still falling out all over the place, dry eyes, dry skin, constipation, elevated cholesterol (which has never been in case in 52 years prior), joint pain, muscle pain, water retention.... the list just goes on and on!  I'm so frustrated!

Hello (mostly) ladies,

I have a question. I am wondering why my WD symptoms aren't worse considering the dose I am on. In April or 2021, I hit the ceiling with my 4 mg a day of Xanax. I was using one 2 mg tab divided into 3 doses throughout the day and one 2 mg tab at bedtime. I got to where the tabs caused a paradoxical effect. I was barely sleeping. Even 10 mg Ambien wouldn't touch me. Currently, I have brutal insomnia with many 0 to 2 hour nights but I wasn't sleeping even with Xanax. Other than that, I have anxiety. I am NOT comfortable. Don't get me wrong but I read about other horrific WD symptoms that I haven't experienced (yet). Because of the paradoxical symptoms, I cut WAY back out of fear. If I don't take it, I get WD, if I do, I get paradox. Now, 5 weeks later, I get nothing from my Xanax doses except obviously, WD damage control. I am on a liquid taper where 1 ml of solution is equal to .01 mg. I am currently alternating .17 mg and .18. mg every 3 hours which puts me at about 1.4 mg Xanax a day. That's quite a reduction from 4 mg a day at the end of April.

I have some mild shaking, horrible insomnia and mild to moderate anxiety which is AWFUL but not considering the huge drop I have made over the last 5 weeks. I am hoping to taper down to fewer ml's/mg's and fewer doses until I am at 1 ml/ .01 mg one time per day and jump. I am hoping to do this in the next 6 to 8 months based on my current tapering. It's almost like I started my taper at 2 mg instead of 4 mg.

Any ideas as to why it isn't worse? I know the lower you go, the harder it gets percentage-wise. I hope my 'plan' comes to fruition but i am listening to my body and will hold if need be to get more stable. I really don't want to be any more uncomfortable that I already am.

I enjoy reading all your posts and it's good to know i am not the only one tapering from high dose Xanax.

HM

Marybeth,

I am having the same issues you are, lots of weight gain regardless of what I eat, hair falling out, joint pain etc.  This is such a nightmare.

Rough couple of days, my toe is finally starting to heal (another symptom, slow healing), vision issues, floaters etc. I know you are all having your own issues as well, there is no fun in tapering.

Regardless I am moving forward and happy to be alive.  I know there is light at the end of this tunnel, I am thinking (hoping) August will be my final dose.

Thinking of everyone of you and hoping things are a little better. 

Mary and Sea

Same symptoms. But my labs are fine. Massive weight gain over the past 3 years, and I have never been heavy, hair falling out (I quit shaving my legs for a while, they are now starting to get some fuzz, so hoping my head starts regrowing hair as well.)

I read that the hair falling out is caused by stress in the CNS, and it stops growth of new hair in order to use it's reserves for things like keeping our heart beating. We lose about 1000 hairs a day, but as they fall out, a new hair comes up. WD often stops the regrowth. Everyone I have ran across that lost hair did recover and the follicles were switched back on, and they got it back.

I have no idea about the weight gain.

Terrible dry eyes, horrendous GI problems from benzo belly to reflux to vomiting in the middle of the night.

High anxiety, muscle/joint pain, but cholesterol is good.

Have had facial parasthesia for a very long time to different degrees.

I have had other intense symptoms, but they stopped, and new ones took their place.

The worst symptom for me  is paradoxical doses. That's from tolerance and being at a high dosage. (Forgot where I read that.)

All of these are symptoms of wd.

BD,

I would feel lucky if it weren't for the insomnia. Even as a stand alone symptom, it's vicious. BUT I am lucky not to have the myriad of other symptoms I have read about on here. Things could be worse. That's true for all of us.

HM