Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Cephalexin/Keflex Antibiotic?

[Li...]

I have an ingrown hair on my upper lip that I messed with and now my entire upper lip is numb from the swelling. Went down to the minute clinic and was given Cephalexin/Keflex antibiotic for it.. I'm supposed to take it 4 times a day for 10 days, but antibiotics scare the crap out of me. Has anyone had any severe reactions to this, or is it considered safe? I told them no quinolone antibiotics, because I've read they can cause pretty severe reactions during withdrawal.

[fc...]

Why do they think you need an AB, are there clinical signs of infection eg pus? ABs seem to be handed out more often than not as a "precaution " or because they don't really know what is wrong. Most ABs are neurotoxic to a compromised cns and really, ABs should only be given when absolutely necessary, like to save your life, they are powerful drugs not to be taken lightly.

Penicillin ABs act on gaba receptors in the same way as benzos. I took a penicillin and was thrown back into acute for 6 weeks and I'm still suffering 4 months later. Cephalexin is a penicillin derivative however it has been shown to have the weakest effect on gaba receptors.

10 days is a long time to take an AB  if it's not totally necessary, you may feel ok whilst taking it but then have a setback afterwards as I did because my receptors had been reinjured. If it were me I would wait it out a few more days. Then again some people take ABs without any problems.

Good luck.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [bh...]
    • [Le...]
    • [Re...]
    • [Ne...]
    • [...]
    • [Al...]
    • [Ye...]
    • [kn...]
    • [Ev...]
    • [...]