I have my (inaccurate) records. Should I correct the record?

[se...]

No mention of withdrawal syndrome. There's "alprazolam misuse" and "benzo use disorder". Hardly any discussion of symptoms and maybe a tenth of them that I reported are in there. The diagnosis that appears to have justified my short term disability is major depressive disorder - no kidding but IT'S FROM GETTING OFF THE BENZOS!

Does anyone have any thoughts on how or even if I should try to correct?  Appreciate any discussion.  Was thinking of asking to reword benzo use disorder to "as prescribed benzo use disorder". I always took it as prescribed. Trying to go about this with a cool head but there's a great deal of anger I harbour.  I don't need my doctor for anything anymore but wonder if I should keep them in case I do. What would you do??

No mention of withdrawal syndrome. There's "alprazolam misuse" and "benzo use disorder". Hardly any discussion of symptoms and maybe a tenth of them that I reported are in there. The diagnosis that appears to have justified my short term disability is major depressive disorder - no kidding but IT'S FROM GETTING OFF THE BENZOS!

Does anyone have any thoughts on how or even if I should try to correct?  Appreciate any discussion.  Was thinking of asking to reword benzo use disorder to "as prescribed benzo use disorder". I always took it as prescribed. Trying to go about this with a cool head but there's a great deal of anger I harbour.  I don't need my doctor for anything anymore but wonder if I should keep them in case I do. What would you do??

I've never applied for or collected disability, so I'm no expert, but I would go for "as prescribed benzo use disorder" most definitely. 

Hi Seltzerer,

I have the same problem, but I am in Canada. I am going to look at challenging the diagnosis, but I will do that after I have recovered. I don't think you want it changed until you get off disability. Benzo withdrawal is not a recognized medical disorder, so your insurance company may cut of disability payments if they see that instead of a DSM condition.

Doctors also have a ton of unchecked power (way too much), so you might find it extremely difficult unless you can get one on your side. I have lucked out with a decent one as a family physician after firing my previous MD (who was BRUTAL), but I am not going to involve him quite yet (doctors really hate it when you disparage or dismiss other doctors).

Thanks all!  I don't need it for my short term disability anymore.  I told that company what was going on independently from whatever my doctor said and I said it was due to trying to get off the medication.  I'm sure they didn't listen to me though and used the reason my doctor stated (MDD).  They approved me for about 4 months and then denied me after I started started showing improvement.

This would be for future reasons and to get the record right in order to start changing the story of what actually happened in case my records are ever reviewed or used for research.

Data_Guy, you make a good point about hanging on to my doctor if they're on my side.  I'm not back to work full time and they may need to be involved with that.  They listened to me and supported my STD application but didn't really do much otherwise.  I came up with the taper schedule and plan and just told them that was what I was going to do.  They did write the Rx for liquid clonazepam.

All of this angers me.  I want to be in control of my own story.  I'm not sure if now is the time to fight it though since I'm not fully recovered.  I'm only starting to get my voice and confidence back.