Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Shortness of breath

[Su...]

I’m now 20 months off and I still get this constant breathless feeling. It’s like you’ve been holding your breath for a while and once you can breathe again you gasp and take deep long breaths, well I breath like that a lot of the time. Obviously I’m not holding my breath, nor am I exerting myself to make me feel breathless, I’m just sitting on the couch doing nothing and my breathing is often forced like that. This is worrying me this far out. I was fit and healthy before, no medical issues, I always assumed this was a benzo withdrawal symptom, but maybe I’m really sick. Does anyone else have this problem??

I'm about 22 months out and also having this issue, Sunshine. I always refer to it as conscious breathing, but it always gets way worse when my breathing goes wonky and I suffer from air hunger. I believe that it is all anxiety related and gets worse in waves. Otherwise it's pretty easy for me to distract away from it when it isn't all that horrible, especially when I'm at work and busy. Hang in there.

This is a common symptom of WD. I think it is caused by the underlying anxiety that BWD causes. Your diaphragm tenses up, your brain is anxious and together that causes you to feel short of breath. When you feel short of breath, that just triggers more anxiety and MORE shortness of breath.

I had this too. It is very unpleasant and makes you wonder if you have some awful disease. But you don't. What I learned to do was to practice slow, deep breathing. Conscious breathing, yes, but of a more healthy way. Slow deep belly breathing soothes the anxiety and that helps you breathe more normally.

east