Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Trouble speaking and forming coherent sentences

[Ma...]

Does anyone else have this? I have a very difficult time articulating thoughts and speaking clearly. My voice is also oddly elevated and warped. I will start saying something, but then trail off 5 seconds later because I stumble to find the right words to finish my thought. I then stutter and end up feeling embarrassed due my inability to effectively communicate with people. I'm fine sounding like a miserable idiot at home though it drives my family crazy at times, but it's becoming a major problem for me at work. It also takes me ages to compose an email - basically my brain can't handle tasks that require abstract thinking and reasoning. Even typing feels oddly challenging.

Is this normal?

Hello Malak,

This is still happening to me: from time to time, I cannot find the correct word and I last longer than usual to finish the sentence...

Even if I'm off benzos, I still have (milder) symptoms that eventually appear, and the one that you mentioned, is one of the most annoying!!

I had this symptom early in my taper. I sounded drunk especially right after a cut. Serious brain fog. The brain fog has never completely left but I do speak clearly at least. I’d say the speach problems lasted maybe 1/3 into my taper. Maybe less. I’m mentally not the same, not as witty as usual. But while holding I’m mostly able to sound ok at work and form sentences just not 100% This was one of the more frustrating symptoms. I can deal better with physical stuff but the other speach and mental challenges are toughest. Hang in there.

I had this symptom early in my taper. I sounded drunk especially right after a cut. Serious brain fog. The brain fog has never completely left but I do speak clearly at least. I’d say the speach problems lasted maybe 1/3 into my taper. Maybe less. I’m mentally not the same, not as witty as usual. But while holding I’m mostly able to sound ok at work and form sentences just not 100% This was one of the more frustrating symptoms. I can deal better with physical stuff but the other speach and mental challenges are toughest. Hang in there.

Thanks, this is reassuring as it's one of my more annoying symptoms. How did you notice the speech issues improving? Was it slow and gradual? The brain fog is just a beast.

I had this happen before I started tapering, and in fact this along with vertigo and an off balance sensation was what got me to researching (Dr. Google) what was happening and why.  I found that within a few weeks of tapering that my speech was back to normal and now I very seldom have issues articulating.  My thought processes are much better also, feel more cognitively alert.  It will get better, but until it does I just took more time to speak my words, not talking too fast,  and that seemed to help.  Hope you get better soon!

Thanks, this is reassuring as it's one of my more annoying symptoms. How did you notice the speech issues improving? Was it slow and gradual? The brain fog is just a beast.

I’m guessing everyone is different but it happened with each cut early on then would gradually improve over time. The brain fog took longer to improve. As you may see in my signature after reducing by 1/3 of my .75 dose, or half of a pill,  I held for about a year due to life events. I was dreading the start to my taper but once I started I found that the symptoms were more mild and no speech diffivulty. I accredit this to the long hold and allowing my brain to heal before continuing on. As well as exercising more the second time around. Of course I don’t recommend a year long hold but do think holds are key before moving on sometimes. The brain fog did return though and other new symptoms in the others place. Now I’ve been holding for maybe a month can’t see my sig but I’m feeling maybe 80%. I even feel like my sense of humor is slightly returning. I’m learning and maybe hoping that most things do improve over time. Hope this helps.

I have difficulty finding the words to express my thoughts. The short time I was on gabapentin it was worse, that was one of the reasons I stopped it.

Yes. I have the same thing happening. Some days worse than others. At first it freaked me out and actually made me avoid things cause of risk of feeling sounding like an idiot. But then I just said to myself I am not going to let this hold me back. I found it helpful to just be open with others about what going on. Once people know they have been more than supportive. Also I just laugh at myself now and somehow find the humour in it. From my research it is part of the healing process and will get better in time. All the best to you.

Loveyourselfalways,

Great name, not loving ourselves enough is what got us here. I was always putting others before me, thinking I could put up with everything, that I was stronger than others, without realizing some  were taking advantage of me.

This journey has been strenuous, to say the least, but I’ve learned a lot about myself.

Stay strong.

Yes. I have the same thing happening. Some days worse than others. At first it freaked me out and actually made me avoid things cause of risk of feeling sounding like an idiot. But then I just said to myself I am not going to let this hold me back. I found it helpful to just be open with others about what going on. Once people know they have been more than supportive. Also I just laugh at myself now and somehow find the humour in it. From my research it is part of the healing process and will get better in time. All the best to you.

That’s a different approach from me but maybe I should try it. I avoid most social situations because I’m just not quick thinking and it’s hard to carry on conversations especially in groups. I end up feeling alienated and stupid. Lol So I just don’t bother. I have kids too and parents talk so partly I don’t share what’s going on for them. It’s pretty isolating though so maybe I should be more open I don’t know.

That’s a different approach from me but maybe I should try it. I avoid most social situations because I’m just not quick thinking and it’s hard to carry on conversations especially in groups. I end up feeling alienated and stupid. Lol So I just don’t bother. I have kids too and parents talk so partly I don’t share what’s going on for them. It’s pretty isolating though so maybe I should be more open I don’t know.

Mountaintop I also avoid social situations, I think it’s good to give ourselves some time until we feel like talking to people lol. Or maybe I am antisocial too  :(

I will say since I’ve been holding I have a bit of my sense of humor back I’ve made a few jokes and feeling a bit like myself. Not totally, I still feel like my thoughts are never fully downloaded but I’m forming sentences better and feeling stronger. Now I just have to brace myself for commencing and decide when. I am planning some travel this year and want to be able to do it and don’t want to have to worry I won’t have the stamina. Decisions decisions...but the good news is that healing is possible apparently.

Very wise way to face the withdrawl!!!

I was also contemplating traveling, but I’m waiting till next year to see how I feel before I make any definite plans. I’ve alre had to cancel a trip abroad, I could face airports, hotel check ins, eating out every day, etc.

Traveling is stressful for anybody, so it is much more stressful for someone on benzo withdrawal and tapering.

Stay strong.